1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dakota wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 PM
scottndarw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dakota wont start

I removed the crankcase breather on my 93 dakota 3.9 v6. I started it with the breather off and it quickly stalled out. I replaced the breather and hasnt started since. any ideas?

Old 03-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Carl_S
Amateur

Is that a 3.9 Magnum or just a plain old 3.9 ? I'd start by checking for spark. Check all the plastic vacuum lines near the breather cap. Have you checked for codes ?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

A 93 would be a Magnum.

Scottndarw, when you say "I removed the crankcase breather", did you plug the line, did you leave the line open, or did you replace it with a new one?

And like Carl_S said, time to check the vacuum lines around, and you can do the key dance to see if there's any stored codes.

RwP

Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 AM
scottndarw

Yes guys it is a 3.9 magnum. As far as the lines I dont think I did anything with them. I simply pulled the crankcase breather off of the engine block with the hose still attached to the breather. and held it in my hand while i started the engine....it started then stalled so i put it back on and now wont start. I havent checked codes...can i do have autozone do that or do i need to buy a device for that.

I took the breather off because it looked so dirty and covered in crud. when i disconnected the hose to look inside the intake of the breather it looked like their was a bug or debris in their and maybe even a little grease. also looked like the inside was metal mesh or as my friend described metal shavings.

also whats the "key dance" sorry guys im a real rookie

Old 03-23-2017, 11:19 AM
RalphP
Champion

With the motor off, turn the key on-off-on-off-on (NOT to start, but just to "ON") within 5 seconds.

After that, watch the "CHECK ENGINE" light and count the flashes.

There will be a series with short pauses, a longer pause, another series with short pauses, an even longer pause, and at the end, a sequence of "5 5".

Note the pairs.

"55" is "END OF CODES".

There's a youtube video on it I'm sure.

Such as
for a possibility.

RwP

Old 03-23-2017, 06:51 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

The crank case breather is on the driver side valve cover and has a hose going to the air cleaner. It should have no effect on the motor running unless it is fully blocked. Even then I doubt to would stop the motor from running. It will look like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-42997/overview/ I'd say the same thing about the PCV, out of the other valve cover, it might make it run poorly but it would run as long as it was in good repair.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 03-23-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 PM
scottndarw
Default key dance

ok the key dance was totally cool. Unfortunately it did ni reveal any codes...Its just hard to beleive that this thing stalled and wont start when I took the crankcase breather off and wont start thereafter but ut doesent have anything to do with starting the car with that gbig hole in the crankcase. s it possible the suction of more air or not enough air blew out a relay?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:25 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by scottndarw
s it possible the suction of more air or not enough air blew out a relay?
It's possible.

It's also possible that the Democratic Party will start hailing Donald Trump as the greatest president evah!

I think there's about as much chance of the one as the other *grins*

Time to go back. What else did you jostle when you started fiddling with the oil breather? Look all around it for something that's disconnected or broken.

Also, I'd say it's time to make sure you have the Chrysler Factory Service Manual; there's several as PDFs in the FAQs, plus if nothing else, check out Ebay.

RwP

Old 03-25-2017, 02:30 PM
scottndarw
Default Code 41

Woooo Hooooo I got a code! Code 41.. Gonna google that and see what I get

Old 03-25-2017, 02:57 PM
scottndarw

man im out of my league i think im just going to drag it to the shop

Quick Reply: 93 dakota wont start