1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Clunk and jerk when giving gas and letting off

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 AM
tomgreene
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk and jerk when giving gas and letting off

96 5.2 4x4 manual. Since I got the truck a year ago it has jerked every time I quickly let off the gas or step on it when in gear. It makes a pretty loud clunk too. For the past couple months it has also made an awful clunk/grinding noise that seems to be coming from the front end when I take off from a stand still. You can feel it through your feet and passengers have noticed it too. I haven't read anything that's specific to these trucks, only general forums that say it's motor mounts. How should I check these? I've tried to push the engine and it does not move even slightly. It just feels like my entire front end is loose. What checklist should I go through? This is driving me crazy. Thank you

Old 03-28-2017, 01:02 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

One thing that has gone out on every Dakota I have had (I am on Dakota#6) is the motor mounts. That would definitely cause what you are describing.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Motor mounts; transmission mount (I'd do both motor mounts and the transmission mount at one time; I did the motor mounts, then later discovered the transmission mount bad on my Cougar (pic attached of the old and new transmission mounts)

Also, don't ignore your U-joints!

RwP

Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 PM
tomgreene
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Is this what I'm looking for to do the mounts? https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2652/none/images I have checked the u joints and they don't have any play so it must be the mounts! I've seen many different kinds when looking them up, ranging from $5 to $42. Not exactly sure what part I need. I haven't gotten a chiens to get a good look under my truck yet

Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

That looks right; but it's twice what RockAuto gets for it.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...tor+mount,5552

Also, do the transmission mount; http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...ion+mount,8756

You may need to tear into the U-joints. At that age, I'd suspect them even if you can't get any slack into it.

RwP

Old 03-30-2017, 06:57 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

ujoints can freeze/bind up too which you may not catch until you pull the shaft, getting loose and sloppy aint the only way they go bad. They are cheap, your truck ain't new no more go ahead and replace them. Get some reputable branded ones... not some parts store "house brand" crap.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:22 AM
tomgreene
Rookie

looks like i'll be ordering some new mounts very soon! thanks for the website, turns out the 4x4 has different mounts than the 2wd. a bit more $$ too. oh well. I'll look into the u joints too. 21 year old truck i'm not surprised everything needs to be replaced!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 PM
WiLiV

Did you put them in yet? I know the tranny mounts on these things shred like tissues.

I also have a manual, and I have to let off the clutch like a granny when upshifting so the transmission doesn't thump on the floor.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:20 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's tsbs out on alldata for the clunking noise in all dakota manual trucks. It's nothing to worry about. It's very common as all my manual trans vehicles including my civic do that.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:55 AM
tomgreene
Rookie

I've actually only replaced the passenger motor mount so far. I haven't had the time to do the others. No difference whatsoever from replacing the one mount, the old one actually looked just fine. Hopefully the tranny mount will do the trick. I'll have some time to do it in a couple weeks and I'll post an update then