1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

starter relay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: starter relay?

If it was me... I would remove those three screws on theback of the solenoid and clean the brass up with some sand paper. As long as the contacts on the inside of the solenoid aren't worn down too far then it will work just fine for a long time.

When I pulled mine apart, it was worn badly, but the guy had been letting it click for a long time before I got the truck. The solenoid itself was $109 and the starter complete with new solenoid was $82... I am not sure why the price difference, but it was.

Later Daze,
Shorty

Old 12-10-2006, 12:10 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok. I'll try cleaning the solenoid tomorrow. then I'll try jumping it and see if it will turn over. and if it does then I will put her back in and call her good.

________
Head shop

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:18 AM
gb6491
Rookie

Be careful not to lose the check ball. The plunger spring sits on top of it and it can fall out when the spring is removed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27279/89A053D3D2954691AA1E6DA1C61E355C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM
kahanabob
Captain

I have replaced 2 starters on my 90. Same thing just clicks. I use the tire iron and tapped on the starter and it worked. Both times did that for about a month tap tap and start then replaced the starter.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:57 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ok the starter works!!.............. I think[:@]

I took the starter apart and cleaned all the brass contacts with sandpaper and brakeclean. then I put it back to gether and put power to it and it turns right away now. so I put it back in the truck hooked all the wires up and then went to start it........ and nothing happend[:@]

so I took a screw driver and jumped it at the starter and it spun, but it didnt engage to the engine. so I dont know if its still messed up or not.

I tried jumping it at the relay but nothing happens, so I think theres an electrical problem with it too. so maybe I will have to rewire some stuff. or just make a switch for it like boomer said. then I know it will be getting power.

I HATE ELECTRICAL STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@]

________
Dragonball Z Advice

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

Look for a fuse... from your earlier post, the popping sound with the spark sounds to me like you might have hit the ground side instead of the switched side of the terminal... That would cause a blown fuse or fusable link (which there is a ton of them on the driver's side between the firewall and the battery). If you lived closer, I would love to help out, I don't mind electrical work at all. It is easier if you take it one wire at a time...

I wish I had a schematic for the Dakota, I could look it over and try and help you more.

Later Daze,
Shorty

Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ya the fuse thing makes sense.

so you know where the fuse would be. under the dash or in the engine bay. tomorrow I will look and see. that would explain why there is no power there anymore.

thanks for all the help you dont know how much I hate wireing.[:@]
________
Pregnant ****

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 AM
BAnders
Veteran

could be a bad solenoid, best bet would be to replace the starter

Old 12-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

I don't have a manual or a schematic for the dakota... YET, but I am trying to find one so I can finish up my wiring and help others with... As far as the location, I would imagine it is in the engine bay. There are also the fuseable links that are between the firewall and battery on the driver's side.

Just incase the cleaning of the contacts doesn't work, here is a link for a cheap starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINI-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-11-2006, 05:09 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!

I dont know what I really did.lol but I took the starter off again and cleaned up all the contacts and every connection. I tried to find any sort of fuse or fusable link, but I couldnt. so I just jumped it and it sarted!

so now Im just gonna run a switch to it. a push button one would probly be better, so i'm gonna go look at some today. and hide it so I dont push it by a mistake.

so thanks for all the help and information, and hopefully I dont have anymore problems for the next lil while.

________
IOLITE PORTABLE VAPORIZER

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: starter relay?