1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Temp gauge doesn't work

Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
89 dakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge doesn't work

What might be the problem? Thermostat? Gauge itself? The temp gauge in this truck has never worked and i would like for it to work properly. It REALLY bothers me that it doesn't work.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Temp gauge doesn't work

it's probly your coolant temp sensor. you will have 2 of them. the one on the front of the engine by the rad hose is for your computer to sense when your motor is warmed up. and the one near the back of the engine will be for your guage. I would try that one. it could either be the sensor it's self or a loose wire. if it's not that, then it's yor guage. but I bet its just your sensor.

mine doesnt work either, but aslong as I get heat. I'm not too worried about it

Old 01-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

try grounding out the signal wire from the sender unit. If the sender is bad, but the gauge works it will peg the needle.

Later Daze,
Shorty

Old 01-11-2007, 04:03 PM
89 dakota
Professional

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

it's probly your coolant temp sensor. you will have 2 of them. the one on the front of the engine by the rad hose is for your computer to sense when your motor is warmed up. and the one near the back of the engine will be for your guage. I would try that one. it could either be the sensor it's self or a loose wire. if it's not that, then it's yor guage. but I bet its just your sensor.

mine doesnt work either, but aslong as I get heat. I'm not too worried about it

could you post a pic of where it is in the engine bay. In my haynes manual it only shows the front one.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:51 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like jonnymagnum said, you do have two coolant temperature sensors (one for the gauge, one for the computer). However, all the information I have places both temperature sensors at the front of the motor. The one for the computer is to the left (drivers side) of the upper coolant hose, while the one for the gauge is to the right (passengers side) of the upper coolant hose. The one for the computer is a two-wire connector, while the one of the gauge only have 1 wire running to it (and is typically violet).

Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 PM
89 dakota
Professional

O.K..... so i found the sending unit but how do I get it out? I can barley get my hand in there. In my manual it says just to unscrew it but it seems like you have to take the wire off first right? I don't wanna wreck anything.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:40 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, take the wire off first and soak the threads in penentrating fluid and let sit for a couple minutes. then try to take it out. since it's probly the original one. it will be stuck in there good.

The following users liked this post:
doomofa91 (04-18-2022)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
89 dakota
Professional

How the hell do I get the sending unit out!!? The only way I got the wire off was with a long pair of needle nose pliers. I can't get my hand in there and I don't wanna wreck the old sending unit. I know there has to be a way to do this obviously, I'm just not seeing it.

Please help

Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 89 dakota

How the hell do I get the sending unit out!!? The only way I got the wire off was with a long pair of needle nose pliers. I can't get my hand in there and I don't wanna wreck the old sending unit. I know there has to be a way to do this obviously, I'm just not seeing it.

Please help
IIRC, I used a flat-tip screw driver to undo the electrical connector. Than, I used a deep socket (around size 13 I think) to get the actual sensor out of the block. Its a little tricky to keep the sensor in the socket to clear everything thats in that area (coolant hose, alternator, and everything else), but is definitly do-able.
I know, its not the easiest thing in the world, but I can think of things a lot worse.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:29 PM
Hitec
Default Temperature Guage doesn't work

I had the same problem. What I did was to take the serpentine belt off the alternator, removed the bolts from the alternator, (might have to remove the bolt holding the dipstick), after I got the alternator free from the bracket I rotated the alternator clockwise exposing the sensor.
The ac line ac lines make it a pain but it can be done.
An alternative way is to un mount the ac compressor (you don't have to break any lines a loose.) And moove it out the way. Loosen the bottom bolt on the alternator and take the top alternator bolt out. Just swing tha alternator to the side and you wull have access to both sensors
Hope this helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temp gauge doesn't work