1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My manual steering rack is practically flopping around on the passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 12:57 PM
WhiskeyHammer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My manual steering rack is practically flopping around on the passenger side

Hello again!

My 89 Dakota manual steering rack has a lot of play on the passenger side. Take a look:

https://giphy.com/gifs/ftmZBoY8Dn2t5xgM1r

Up, down, left, right. All the slop.

I havent worked with steering systems much, but this looks like a bearing failure to me. I have the shop manual and some parts diagrams but I can't seem to find anything that shows a bearings here.

1) Is this normal? I'm assuming not.
2) Anyone familiar with the fix for this one?

P.S. I know I owe some responses to other threads. It's my busy season at work and this truck has had a loooooot of problems that I've been fixing. I'll get to those threads as soon as I have some spare moments to take pictures and format proper responses.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Nope, not normal. The fix is to replace the rack.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:16 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

Yeah, pretty clear it’s time for a new rack. No idea the availabilty of it. Could be a boneyard special if all else fails.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:30 PM
WhiskeyHammer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... that sucks.

Can't find a remanufactured unit online. The salvage yards near me don't seem to have a match either.

I drove it from Charleston to Jacksonville (FL) and didn't notice any problems with the steering on the highway. It's a pain in the *** to crank the steering wheel sharply at low speeds but it was for sure doable. I think I'll cobble together a bushing to tighten it up for now. Worst case scenario my passenger side wheel looses active control - I'll still have the driver's side and friction will almost certainly force the passenger side wheel to reluctantly follow whatever line I'm driving. So reduced control with a higher input force on the steering wheel. Having said that worst case scenario, it doesn't seem likely. I can't imagine the kind of force it would take to snap a steering rack inside the guide, especially if the slop is take up by a bushing. I mostly use the truck for cruising the barrier islands on weekends so it's not like I'm catching pot holes at 80 mph or climbing rocks with it.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:37 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Rock Auto has a reman unit. Not cheap $233+ They also have parts for the rack. If its just the bearing or bushing you might be able to fix it ?????
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388

Old 11-16-2022, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Rock Auto has a reman unit. Not cheap $233+ They also have parts for the rack. If its just the bearing or bushing you might be able to fix it ?????
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388
If one side is that bad, I bet the rest of the parts aren't much better. I think replacement, even though it ain't cheap, would be the best route to go.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:45 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou;[url=tel:3555229
3555229[/url]]If one side is that bad, I bet the rest of the parts aren't much better. I think replacement, even though it ain't cheap, would be the best route to go.
Agree. That rack looked shot beyond hope. It’s like having a bum foot or ankle. Before you know it, your knees and back go lame too. Ask me how I know. I’m impressed 94 found that rack. He’s pretty good at hunting down parts.

Quick Reply: My manual steering rack is practically flopping around on the passenger side