1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What is the proper way to burp the 4.7 cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

that will bleed the power steering system, not the radiator

Old 10-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Gary Hill16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7

Okay so I have a couple questions I just got this Dodge Durango 4.7 L I was driving it home and it over heated and I haven't had it running right since the hose blew when it over heated I replaced that and the only way it runs now is if I flood the gas peddle to start it and of course this is followed by a lot of grey smoke that smells like gas if I let off the gas it stalls I replaced the plugs because when I had the service engine soon light tested it came back with 3 cylinder misfires but even after changing them it runs the same I've heard its everything from the cam sensor to the head gasket I've sank every dollar into it trying to figure out what it is so I'm looking for opinions on where to go from here

Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 AM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Hill16
Okay so I have a couple questions I just got this Dodge Durango 4.7 L I was driving it home and it over heated and I haven't had it running right since the hose blew when it over heated I replaced that and the only way it runs now is if I flood the gas peddle to start it and of course this is followed by a lot of grey smoke that smells like gas if I let off the gas it stalls I replaced the plugs because when I had the service engine soon light tested it came back with 3 cylinder misfires but even after changing them it runs the same I've heard its everything from the cam sensor to the head gasket I've sank every dollar into it trying to figure out what it is so I'm looking for opinions on where to go from here

Have you figured anything out on your issue yet???

Old 12-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Anthony Guelzow
Cool Damn 4.7L!

I have an 03 4.7... I've been burping the system for about 3 days.. no heat, doesn't get up to temp..new t stat, took the dash apart and checked all my doors all of which work.. Ive checked over and over and no leaking not sure where the air is coming from. It's making me nuts. And now it's literally 0 degrees and I still have no heat...flushing the heater core tonight..if you guys have any input please let me know.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:32 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Anthony Guelzow
I have an 03 4.7... I've been burping the system for about 3 days.. no heat, doesn't get up to temp..new t stat, took the dash apart and checked all my doors all of which work.. Ive checked over and over and no leaking not sure where the air is coming from. It's making me nuts. And now it's literally 0 degrees and I still have no heat...flushing the heater core tonight..if you guys have any input please let me know.
Mine ended up being the water pump. It had not failed 100% but when it was off, the out hub would spin full turn and the impeller would soon 1/4 of a revolution. Hope that this helps.

Last edited by sporta; 12-15-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 05-05-2021, 01:41 PM
Klewis04
Default Burping an ‘02 ram 1500

I’ve bled the coolant system using the bleed valve, let it get up to temp, slightly unscrew until bubbles come out. I have done this twice now yet my engine still runs hot? Any suggestions?

Old 05-05-2021, 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Losing any coolant?

Old 05-05-2021, 02:31 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Klewis04
I’ve bled the coolant system using the bleed valve, let it get up to temp, slightly unscrew until bubbles come out. I have done this twice now yet my engine still runs hot? Any suggestions?
Have you tried bleeding the system with the nose of the vehicle higher than the rear end? Might force the air pockets out the bleed valve easier. Also have you checked the water pump to see if it's still good?

Best of luck

Steve

Old 05-30-2021, 08:53 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah. Don't buy a 4.7. buy a 5.2/5.9 instead. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: What is the proper way to burp the 4.7 cooling system?