1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Overcharging...

Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overcharging...

Ok guys so I was coming home tonight from the store and my check gauges light pops on. I look down and my battery gauge was well past 18 volts. I shot to the side of the road and killed the engine. I turned the ignition to the on position after a minute and it only went right below the 14 mark. I had my wife watch it and turned on the engine I had noticed it was after hard acceleration so I messed with the throttle to see if I could hear anything out of the alt. but nothing happened. after a few minutes I hopped back in and got going keeping a close eye on the battery gauge. I noticed that after any amount of acceleration it was going up slightly (about 15.5 volts orso)then right before I got home I watched it shoot straight from 14 to 18 and before I could even come to a complete stop and kill the engine the needle was buried again. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before because that is a new one to me it seems like the alternator is sticking and in turn overcharging the battery. I'm going to pull the battery and alternator (I'm thinking it's the alternator) tomorrow morning and take it to Auto Zone to get it tested. Is there anything else I should take a look at??? Thanks guys.

Damn truck has 52.5k miles on it I shouldn't have these problems yet...

Old 05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: Overcharging...

The alt may have gone bad and cause it to full field itshelf. Ck with your local dealer and find out if you still have warranty coverage.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Mean Green
Champion

No I don't too many years on the truck. Thanks for the reply master so I guess it's off to autozone I go for an alternator test.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Mean Green
Champion

It was the alternator. I took it to an autozone down here (after a lot of running around to places with lower prices that said they could test it but didn't have the right wiring to test my alternator) and they tested it in the store and it tested fine, the battery tested fine as well. I had them test it with the D running and as soon as I kicked it up to 2k rpms my amperage went throguh the roof so I guess it was the voltage regulator in the alt. $132 + tax. I pulled my ac lines to get to it since I need to recharge the system anyway and while I was lifting the upper radiator hose the damned filler neck snapped. Dealer only part $55 + tax... [:@]

Old 05-25-2007, 01:38 PM
cesspool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mean Green
Damn truck has 52.5k miles on it I shouldn't have these problems yet...
Perhaps you forgot, you bought a DODGE!![:@][]

Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah yeah but their problems usually lie in their transmissions. Oh well I'd rather change an alternator any day of the week over another rebuild. [:'(]

Old 05-28-2007, 02:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats right Green. Wow I've never heared of that before with the alternator before. Nice to see you got back on your feet.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah I'm glad I insisted on the alternator being tested again I would have been in for a wild goose chase otherwise.

Search this Thread