1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

00 Durango Dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:47 AM
00Durango5.9_SLT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Durango Dies

I lent my D to a friend. While he had it, the battery died. Also, while he had it, it started dying. I replaced the battery today but now it won't stay running. If I start it and let it idle, it will run. If I give it gas then let it fall back down to idle, it will die. I can keep it running if I give it gas. Any ideas on where I should start looking? No engine codes as of yet. It drives just fine as long as I keep the idle up with the gas pedal.

Only things I have done to it in the past few days are add coolant/water because it was low and change the battery.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2000 Durango
5.9L

Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 00 Durango Dies

Try this:

1) Disconnect the battery (need to anyway, sounds like it may not be connected tightly and that was to be step 4).

2) Wait 15 minutes.

3) With battery disconnected, turn the key on as if to start the D. Do this four times, each time removing the key as if you were done (just making sure you are getting the timing down right)

4) Wait another 5 minutes

5) As above, now reconnect the battery. Make sure the battery is tightly attached on the ground and positive side.

You have just reset the PCM computer. It probably was freaked out due to the low voltage issues caused by the initial bad battery. And you confirmed the battery is installed tightly. Over the next 100-500 miles, your Ds computer will relearn everything so it may run 'differently' than before until it gets back to the settings you were used to.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Quick Reply: 00 Durango Dies