1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is taking it out back and shooting it an option?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
sambucajay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is taking it out back and shooting it an option?

Hi! I'm not sure if anyone's still reading this thread except for me, but I need a bit of help. I'm having a similar issue with my 2001 Durango R/T:

After driving just a few blocks, the check gages light comes on and battery gauge drops, yet it still runs around town and starts ok (so far).

Pulled the codes and got this:

P0622 - Generator Field Not Switching Properly - An open or shorted condition detected in the generator field control circuit.
P1682 - Charging System Voltage Too Low - Charging system output voltage low.

I was hoping that I might replace this $10 140-amp fuse and see if it fixes the problem, rather than paying $100 at our local dealership to diagnose it.

However, I can't seem to FIND the darn fuse. I've lookedthrough the fuse box under the hood, but can't seem to locate it. I've followed the wire from the alternator into the fuse box, along with the positive wire from the battery into the fuse box. Where they meet, it looks like they're just kinda screwed together, but it doesn't look like there's a fuse there. Perhaps I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a part number printed on itmight help me?

Also, I replaced the battery about a month ago because I had tried to start it and it was completely dead, even though I swore I didn't leave any lights on. Tried to jump the old battery, but it just wouldn't hold a charge. It was probably the original battery, since I got the durango at 3 years old and I hadn't replaced the battery, so I didn't mind getting a new one.

Thanks, again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is taking it out back and shooting it an option?