1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer case linkage fell off. Do I need to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
pesuazo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife just told me she had the same problem....I got under the vehicle and linkage was missing....I will be doing a junkyard tour this weekend....

Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Dustin Taylor Harper
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ron374
I have heard friends talking about this happening to them. It finally happened to me recently. The rubber grommets wore out on my transfer case shift linkage on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. I went to Home Depot and bought a short piece of flat steel and a couple of stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers. I now have a permanent fix that will not wear out again. I am new to dodgeforum.com but I will try to upload a couple of photos showing what I did with my truck. I have been using the 4-wheel drive often and it has been working great.
thanks for the diagram and pics but a few questions if you wouldn't mind
1. how thick and wide of a steel did you use
2. do I realy need the copper tubing
3. where'd you get this from and if from a sight can I get a link
4. is your diagram universal to a one ton

Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 PM
ron374

The steel that I used was 3/16" X 1". I guess you really don't need the copper tubing, but I wanted to use it to reduce friction on the bolts. I didn't get this idea from any web site. I just came up with it out of necessity. Also, just for an update, I am using the 4WD like crazy and the linkage is doing great.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
leebar
Amateur
Default Transfer case shift lever

Yes, to be safe and not shift out of gear while going down the road. Replace bushings or rubber grommets purchased from Dodge dealer which are about $23.00 for two. Insert the bushing into the bracket, first, with the small hole towards the transfer case. Then install the rod into the bushings.

Quick Reply: Transfer case linkage fell off. Do I need to fix it?