1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

COOLANT LEAK VS HEATER CORE

Old 10-17-2004, 12:08 PM
DURANGED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COOLANT LEAK VS HEATER CORE

Hey Guys-

Here's a perplexing thought! Ive been on here complaining of what appeared to be a heater core problem-foul smelling misting coming through the a/c vents-some of you guys responded to my post and I appreciate that, but all the mechanics that have checked the truck( a 2000 Durango SLT)have said its not the core. Just this a.m I noticed the smell had escalated but only now I have a coolant leak from the passenger's side and a film like condensation has built up on the inside windshield. Could this have been the culprit all along? This sounds like theres a hole somewhere in my radiator hose-does that make sense? Any help would be appreciated!! THANKS!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:45 PM
robust57
Rookie
Default RE: COOLANT LEAK VS HEATER CORE

I had the exact same problem with my 98 D (5.2L). Smoke with a horrible smell coming threw the vents, some foggy film on the inside of my car, and a bizarre buzz after driving for 5 minutes. I ended up taking it to a shop and they told me it was the heater core, so I had them replaced and now no funk. I would suggest taking it to a second mech for a second opinion. The heater core replacement cost me about 700 bucks if my memory serves me correctly.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

Get under the truck, if possible.
If the coolant leak is comming out of a small (1/2" diameter) hose on the lower passenger side of the firewall, it's the heater core.
Everything you have mentioned in your posts about this problem points to a heater core.
Looks like coolant, smells like coolant, it's comming from the ductwork?
Only one way for coolant to get into the vehicle's ductwork. Wanna guess how?

Old 10-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DURANGED

Hey Guys-

Here's a perplexing thought! Ive been on here complaining of what appeared to be a heater core problem-foul smelling misting coming through the a/c vents-some of you guys responded to my post and I appreciate that, but all the mechanics that have checked the truck( a 2000 Durango SLT)have said its not the core. Just this a.m I noticed the smell had escalated but only now I have a coolant leak from the passenger's side and a film like condensation has built up on the inside windshield. Could this have been the culprit all along? This sounds like theres a hole somewhere in my radiator hose-does that make sense? Any help would be appreciated!! THANKS!
Hey Duranged!!! Did my cheap little trick I suggested to you from your previous post able to pinpoint where the leak was??? The suggestion was go to to a auto parts store. Buy yourself a heater hose coupling. Coupling cost a couple of dollars. Then remove both inlet/outlet heater hoses going to the core and connect them to the coupler. This will bypass the core. Then drive your Durango for a few days. If the smell eventually minimizes itself or goes away, it is the core.

Now based on your present post, it is the core. There are no hoses internally within the core housing. It cannot be your radiator hose as that hose is located at the far front of your Durango and for it to leak enough antifreeze to reach your air vents and suck it inside to coat your winshield and floors, the leak would have to be super major. Problaby your Durango won't make it to the shop before all the antifreeze leaks out.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 PM
DURANGED

Hey Kensai-

Thanks for all your help-it finally went so bad that I had to get it repaired and guess what?? it was the heater core- a pricey solution to my "foul" problem-Thanks again for your suggestions

All The Best

DURANGED

Old 10-22-2004, 10:33 PM
DURANGED

Yeah it was the heater core-the labor alone could buy 200 six packs of beer-Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:34 PM
DURANGED

Yeah it was the core and your quote was off by $5.00!!!! hahahahaha! Thanks

Old 10-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My heater core replacement costed me $650 bucks parts and labor. Good thing I have a great friend that is also a certified mechanic. But I feel sorry for him that it took him an entire day to tear down the dash and steering column just to replace a heater core. But the great thing that came out of all this, my A/C now freezes me really good during the summer time. I guess the baffle vent door may not have been properly aligned and after replacing the heater core and reassembling the box with the vent baffle door, my A/C can really cool down the interior on a hot summer day. I rarely take the fan speed setting past the second speed.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:32 PM
rmcmp

Is it a pain in the **** to DIY a heater core? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but wonder how much trouble it'd be.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Dave in LB
Professional

My chargers heater core was a PITA to get too and in 1969 there wasn't the dearth of stuff to have to remove. Doing one now would be like climbing Everest to me, and that would take less time and less money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COOLANT LEAK VS HEATER CORE