1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Do I Need To Replace The Oxygen Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 PM
jamez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need To Replace The Oxygen Sensor?

The CEL is illuminated on my '00 D. The code returned is: P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2). My question is: Do I have to replace this sensor? Is this an expensive repair? Does it have to be repaired by a mechanic?
Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional
Default RE: Do I Need To Replace The Oxygen Sensor?

You dont have to do anything you dont whant to but the comp will take over and it will run like crap and have bad gas miladge. They run between 50 to a 100 dollars depending on the motor and stuff . You can do this it takes a special socket some penatrating oil and muscle possible heat . make sure you get the right one.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
jamez

What would labor cost?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James:

As BBD says, you can leave it as is but you will suffer an MPG drop. Also, if you have emissions testing in your area you will probaly fail.

The sensors are between $50 and $150 ea depending on whether you go back with OEM or something from AZ like a Bosch. I have used the Bosch units in the past without issues, but some folks say they are not good.

Labor to do the job would probably be another $50-100 bucks. You can easily do it yourself with free loaner tools from AZ.

If you have the time and inclination, I highly recommend it as a fairly easy repair that will help you bond with your D. If you have more than 80k on your D, I would consider doing both of them while you are at it and be done with it.

Don

Quick Reply: Do I Need To Replace The Oxygen Sensor?