1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Axel or 4x4 probem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 03:43 PM
wyseguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axel or 4x4 probem

I have a 2003 Durango AWD with 4.7. It has 171000 miles. 2003 I have this noise in the front. I think it is an axle that needs replaced. It started when driving around town, It was making a loud clicking noise, like metal gears slipping or binding. Was going to take to a friend to look at before I was 2 mile down the road it had quit. Quit about the time I hit 45-50 mph. didn't do it again for couple months maybe more, then same thing tool around town never getting over 35 mph came back. took it out on highway got up to 50 and it quit again. this time it came back in a couple weeks. I think it is the right front axle, but I would like to hear from you all

Old 01-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be able to rule anything else out. Get under the truck and grab the axle shafts to see if there's excess play in either of them. You will have some play going into the CV joint. But you shouldn't have any "side to side" play.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Another way that might work to check things is jack up one tire off the ground and rotate it left/right. It won't rotate far, but it should help find loose parts.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Another way that might work to check things is jack up one tire off the ground and rotate it left/right. It won't rotate far, but it should help find loose parts.
Agreed. Also, on the chance it's your differential, jack the entire front end up. Spin both tires both directions. Will force all of the spider gears to move full range and you might hear something by doing this. Maybe a broken tooth on a spider gear or something.. I wouldn't think so but it's a possibility.

Quick Reply: Axel or 4x4 probem