1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just purchased 03 Durango SLT, questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Wender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased 03 Durango SLT, questions

So i just got a 2003 black on black (leather) SLT 4x4 4.7L v8 with 70k miles.

What problems should I watch out for before my 90 day warranty runs out with the dealership?

Also, my buddy has 2006 20" OEM wheels off a Dodge Ram, willthey fit the Durango?

Do you guys know more forums that I can join?

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just purchased 03 Durango SLT, questions

First of all Welcome aboard!! Congrats on your purchase!! I have a grey/taupe SLT 4.7 I got mine last year at 62K but currently 75.8K. Going in for my semi annual brake inspection, and first trans filter/fluid/sparkplug change, coolant flush. So far I am very happy, I came from the Cherokee family so reasonably familiar with the D/C way of doing things. A few things I have done to keep things going, some cosmetic, some mechanical.

Cosmetic/Functional:

1.Added aftermarket Sony head unit with Detachable face and XM Radio,micro antenna on roof, is not as obvious as you would think and has a strong magnet that holds up even under the hurricane force dryers in the carwashes in this area. I put the adapter/receiver/tuner under the passenger seat and ran all the wiring along the floor of the center console. Most aftermarket units require a antenna adapter in addition to the radio trim piece, and wiring harness but stereo marked down from $300 to $70 so pretty good deal, satellite is good on road trips,breaks up music good selection and a break after all the CD's have been listened to.

2. Steering wheel cover, O Reilly Auto parts, with the official DODGE rams head logo. The "E" in dodge should line up along the upper cross beam of the steering wheel, mostly a visual line up but the "DODGE" words took upmost of that beam on both sides.

3. Wheel center caps, I got mine from dealer, the replacement ones are brighter and more chrome than the original but also havea little bit wider clip ring, making them stay more securely.

MECHANICAL:

1. Rotors/Pads, all four positions. (There is a safety cage that needs to be removed to remove the rotors, I had one side that wasunusually tight, requiring dealer to remove, but that could have just been a random fluke, since it was only one side.)

2. Michelin X-radial tires at Costco with Nitrogen.

3. Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt. This was replaced again after only about three weeks, I think I just got a random bad belt from stock, must have been put together on a FRI night when factory workers are thinking about the local bars, you know!!!, AutoZone worked with me and easy exchange, replacement belt installed no further issues.

4. PCV Valve/Air Filter.

5. Aftermarket cargo net.

O.K. Here are the problem areas.

1. Malfunction INdicator Lamp, (Dodge buzzword for "Check Engine Light") Came on during return leg of road trip from Tampa area-Indy. if you get a P0448 or P0456 it is most likely a vacuum line. I replaced every square inch of that line forward of the EVAP Emissions container, (Inboard Frame, Drivers Side) If in doubt replace it, a simple pinhole leak can cause the light to come back. I have had the light cleared at A/Z but it came back a few times, It has been cleared for two months now. I also replaced fuel cap as part of that light issue, Dealer about $10 bucks, don't go aftermarket on this one.

2. Fuel Mileage, but if you had more than one fill up, you probably already figured that out. I pulled about 16-18 highway MPGon various road trips this summer, full passengers/cargo max load (A/C, radio, scanner, full electricial load.) around town don't expect miracles.

3. Blower motor resistor. This summer my resistor went out, and blower fan only worked on HIGH. I guess better than being stuck off right? SImple change, if it happens first step is replace resistor, again about $10 dealer, takes longer to get out of stock, print up invoice, pay and walk to vehicle than it does to remove/replace, if that is a clue. Previous thread in this forum on that if you are one of the unfortunate ones, hopefully not. If the resistors keep blowing then you have a problem but this is good first step.

Read the previous threads, regarding Platinum Plugs, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT USING THEM, Not much more to say on that.

These are not exactly problem areas but areas you might want to take note of.

4. Wiper blades, passenger side, the sweep of windshield at the base leaves a dead spot for that wiper during the first few inches of travel, way to correct is use one blade size lower than what book calls for or just note and deal with. Remember Passenger side only.

5. Transmission Filters There are three availableshown in Dealer Illustrated parts catalog (IPC) the 03's take two of them. One is a spin on oil filter type, the other according to catalog is a diamond shaped.

6. Keys, Keep track of themDealer says approx $70 for key not to mention remote, plus reprogramming, I worked with the dealer to get my first two keys and remotes programmed in the initial deal, if you already have two working keys/remotes keep them close.

7. Center console, in my opinion it is too deep, plenty of space, maybe too much but there is a Cigarette Lighter adapter in there. Mine also has one in the aft cargo area, so that leaves three including the normal one inthe center instrument panel areas

8. Glove box, don't overstuff it, if it does not close tight, micro switch for the glovebox light will stay open and leave the light on, leaving the possibility of a dead battery.

Thats about all I can think of for now, if you decide on new tires, I would strongly recommend 4 wheel alignment. It is a good running vehicle, the 4WD is nice in the snow, some of the stuff I did was more for peace of mind, I am pretty happy with cargo volume with seats down? I am not an offroader or trailer hauler so can't give much on that but for smooth reasonably quiet ride, and nice looks, around town, a very good vehicle. I wish fuel economy was a bit better but doesn't everyone?

Good luck and again welcome aboard!!!!

P.S: If you want photos, send me an e-mail address.

MAGIC84.

Quick Reply: Just purchased 03 Durango SLT, questions