1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How to change Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
ceedeelight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change Spark Plugs?

Can someone tell me or provide a link on how to change spark plugs and wires on a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L 2wd.

I've done a search and I can find any information. I will appreciate it.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts
Default RE: How to change Spark Plugs?

you have coil over plugs... disconnect the electrical to the coil, unbolt it and pull straight up. there might be a ground on one or more of the bolts, just make sure you get those back on there.

there is a link at the top of the forum pointing to a location to download the shop manual... download it and have a look. as for your stalling problem, check the IAC motor... could be getting sticky or going out.

welcome to DF...

Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs are pretty easy.

Start with a cold engine as you do not want to risk the threads in the aluminum heads.

You will want a good plug socket that will hold the plugs, and a 6 inch extension to get them out. 1 at a time, remove the small plug to each coil, then the 1 nut that secures it in place. Gently lift and rock the coil up off of the plug.

Some have suggested to remove any crud from around the coil with compressed air so it will not fall downinto the plug well.

After removing the old plug, make sure you apply a little no seize to the new plug before installation.

When doing the passenger side, removing the airhat and intake tube that goes to the air filter makes things alot easier.

You also might want to consider going back in with a platinum plug that will last longer than the OEM plugs 30k. If your plugs are OEm and past 30k, you will be amazed at how far gone they are.

Don

Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I recently changed my plugs and I do have one recommendation. Get the socket that has the universalon it (5/8) I believe. There are the regular spark plug wrenches but when I was on the back ones, the socket would get stuck in there, because the universal would come off the socket. There are spark plug wrenches that have the universal joint already attached to them, then put the extension on that.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Chuck Dudley

Just a quick question - steve05ram360 - you say there is a link at top of forum for link to shop manual but I don't see it - could you point that out for me please?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
otgarzā
Captain

This is a really old post...from 07. have you tried sending steve a PM?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

DO NOT CHANGE TO PLATINUM PLUGS! There are so many posts on here on how our engines are not made to handle them. Use the Copper Champion Plugs. The are the cheap ones but they are what these trucks call for from the factory.

The link to the chilton Manual: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...on-manual.html

Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Yeah also for more help you can look at the do it yourself section at the top of the gen 1 page. Theres the manual and a whole lot of posts that can help out. ^thanks turbo

Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Dudley
Just a quick question - steve05ram360 - you say there is a link at top of forum for link to shop manual but I don't see it - could you point that out for me please?
Here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xu9h0gt9bdcn6#95xauggyi3uc3

Quick Reply: How to change Spark Plugs?