1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TRANS P CODES

Old 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANS P CODES

Gentleman here we are starting off the new year, off to abad start so far. I went out to the Gym today, had transmission problemsn and had to come back reather than risk being stuck away from home. Passed A/Z on way home to get codes read. I guess I should start with the symptoms first. SImply put it would not shift past 2nd,it would seem like it was slipping, when I manually shifted to 2 then it would hold 2nd but of course at that point I am very speed limited. Codes read but to not recommend any corrective action, the first obvious thing that comes to mind is fluid level, but thedesign of the filler neck isvery weak and with all the curves on ityou wind up scraping the fluids off when you catch the sides of the filer tube which produces a inaccurate reading. Here are the codes.

P0700
P0733
P0734

Any ideas, if it is serious any ideas of good cheap transmission shops in the Indy area I am hoping it won't come to that but need to set up my optiopns. ANy idea on where I can take it too for a reasonably priced accurate diagnosis?

Thanks, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 PM
OneBadKota
All Star
Default RE: TRANS P CODES

P0700 EATX Controller DTC Present This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX or Aisin controller has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a CCD (EATX) or SCI (Aisin) message. The specific fault must be acquired from the EATX via CCD or from the Aisin via ISO-9141. After

I don't see a 733 or 734 on my list...

Maybe it's time for a flush and fluid/filter change?

Could be a band might need adjusting as well.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I don't see a 733 or 734 on my list...

Maybe it's time for a flush and fluid/filter change?

Could be a band might need adjusting as well.

Basically 733 and 734 are the same fault. One is the 3rd gear ratio, the next is 4th gear ratio. Both I am sure are associated with the failure of the main transmission control fault the P0700. One earlier forum points to Transmission solenoid, and of course this, Either way it is critical and in need of repair soon.

The ironic thing is I just had a fluid/filter change on DEC 9th, and no associated conditions until know. I think I can limp it to dealer for early bird repair and hope it is something simple. When I changed fluid, I did not adjust bands,everything looked normal.No other associated conditions and no abnormal noises other than described. I guess we will find outwhen they tear into it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Steve.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

That's what went on mine before I bought it, forgot all about it. Duh! But it totally felt like it was in neutral then.. maybe yours is close?

If it's still under 80,000 miles, should be a free fix.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Engine Code Indexis on the top of the main page in 1st generation Durangos section. It lists your problems.

Sounds like a valve body problem.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

1st of all who change the filter and 2nd was the o-ring istalled on the front pump. The reason I ask is because on the 45rfe or 545rfe, if the filter is not sealed you will lose pump pressure and suck just air, transmission goes into limp-in. P0731 thru P0736 are gear ratio errors. If the filter is okay, you may have a broken accumlator plate on the side of the valve body.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Filter was self change. Yes I did check the o-ring, I checked it multiple times, even had it double checked. Dealer investigation, you would not believe, but then again maybe you would. Essenttially clutch packs burned out. Conflict of procedures. The installation of pan, one step says use gasket, one says don't I followed the one that used the gasket, I am figuring you can imagine what happened next? At transmission shop now, waiting for diagnosis. Dealer cost $2200 I may not be able to afford Edwards but I definitely know I can not afford dealer cost, whats amazing is the warranty company says no coverage, what are they in the business for?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask why they won't cover your claim?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Update from Trans shop, definite internal failure. Standing by for update from warranty inspector.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cross your fingers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRANS P CODES