1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 r/t front end hum

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
stinger35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 r/t front end hum

My 01 r/t recently started making a hum sound from the front end when you get above 30mph. If you take your foot off the pedal the noise stops until you pedal again. I have replaced the rear pinion as it was needed and this was not the problem. It is also not the hub/bearings as the steering does not effect the noise, plus they were replaced within the last year. I put her up on a lift and brought her up to 40mph while my mech listened. He said the transfer case is whining. Drained transfer and found no metal in fluid but fluid was pretty dark. He wants to rebuild transfer case. Before I do has anyone had this problem?????

Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 01 r/t front end hum

Not good if the fluid is dark, the transfer case uses the sameATF+4 fluid as the the tranny. If I remember when I changed out my atf+4, the fluid was clear when new.

How many miles you have on your R/T? has the fluid ever been changed? as it uses regular tranny fluid, you need to change out the fluids in the transfer case the same maintenance schedule as your tranny. I been changing mine out every 30k. I also change out the axle fluids same time. Do all the underneath fluid changes out in one job to save money.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 PM
stinger35

it has 110,000 and I have changed both pumpkins and transfer case at the same time at 40,000mile intervals

Old 03-08-2008, 03:19 PM
rab005

I replied back to your e-mail.

I just turned 60k on my 01 Durango R/T and have the same issue.I'm currenlty driving it with out the frontdrive shaft and the whine is complety gone. I'm starting to think it's the t-case tooand not the front diff. I need to slapthe front drive shaft back in and get it to a shop. Mine starts the whine around 40 mph and quits if I'm completly out of the gas or if I'm going up a big incline. Only whines when your crusing on a level grade or slight down grade with foot on the gaspedal.

Let me know what you do and the price of the t-case rebuilt.
Thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 PM
stinger35

O.K. so here's the scoop,

Took the transfer case out and found everything good except for the bearing at the front of the case to the front drive shaft. Replaced that bearing. When putting it all back together , found that the front driveshaft has a ball joint in it that is covered by a rubber boot. Boot was ripped causing dirt and such to ruin ball joint, thus whiping out the bearing. Rebuilt front shaft fromRock Auto.com, $250 after core. Everything is happy in durango town.

Quick Reply: 01 r/t front end hum