1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango SLT+ 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Doctor Holliday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango SLT+ 5.9

New to this forum and looking for any help I can get.

With gas up over 3 bucks a gallon, I need a second job to fill this thing up. Has anyone hadany experience with cold air intakes, chips etc to help with the mileage. I'm not interested in more HP although I'll take it if it comes, just trying to get this thing to at least get me 17 mpg or so on the highway. Right now I'm getting 14 if I'm lucky.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:10 AM
OneBadKota
All Star
Default RE: 2002 Durango SLT+ 5.9

Hate to break it to ya, but there's not much you can do to get much more MPG.

I have put 3923 Autolite plugs in, they're colder.

A Magnaflow muffler for better flow.

Drop in K&N filter.

Removed the Clutch Fan(Only recommended if you also have an electrical fan)

Changed to synthetic oil.

Now if you keep your foot out of it..

Turn the O/D off when doing under 40mph

Use Cruise Control on 55MPH+ roads.

This will all help a little bit. I've been averaging about 15-15.5mpg this Winter and that's with it having time to warm up. I have gotten up to 21mpg on the Expressway.

I haven't had it long enough to check the MPG in warmer weather.

Now mine is the 4.7 so I couldn't tell you how much this would vary with the 5.9 if at all.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the 5.9's, you're doing good, problaby better than most of us. I assume your D is a 2WD SLT+? You'd problaby have 3:55 gear ratios. If this is true, you can problaby push another 1-2 mpg just by staying light on the pedal, and changing your oil to synthetic and use a drop in K&N filter so the 5.9 will breath easier.

My D, with 3:92 gears, I get 12/14 normal driving habits or 13/15 if I drive with a egg under my foot.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Doctor Holliday

It's a 4x4 SLT+. I'm already running synthetic in it, I've done that since the day I bought it. I have four cars and I run full synthetic in three of them, part sythetic in the fourth due to age (1994 BMW 525i with 172k on the original engine). I was debating dropping an aFe free flow intake into it, but I think it might be just as good to keep the stock air box, and use the Ram Air set up you fabricated as shown on this page. Between doing that and putting a K&N filter in the stock box, that might help jam more air into the engine. And it's considerably cheaper, since an aFe filter setup for the Durango is about $270

I didn't know if anyone had any experience with chips like Jet, etc. I have a neighbor who has a f-350 with the power stroke diesel in it. He chipped it and went to a free flow intake, and he upped his mileage considerably-of course, it is a diesel, not a gas engine.

The good news is, in the summer months the truck basically just sits in the driveway because I bring my roadster out of storage and my wife takes over my 5 series. I'm counting the days of not having to drive this gashog very much. At that point, it's only driven when I have to haul my trailer when I cut firewood for the winter.

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango SLT+ 5.9