1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Any paint pros?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:39 PM
wes_wes101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any paint pros?

I looked at my hood the other day and noticed that there were some deep cracks in the paint. Cracks, not scratches. Some have formed from rocks hitting the hood, crushing or cracking the clear coat, and then a crack expands from that. Others made him formed from heat or something, I don't know. (In the photos, the white material in the cracks is wax polish.)

Also, at the top of my driver side door, the clear coat has flaked off in about a 16 inch wide section.

How can I fix these issues? Is anybody else experiencing similar problems?

Last edited by wes_wes101; 01-28-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the only fix for bad clear coat is a fresh coat of clear on the affected body panel unfortunately this is not cheap

Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with sharps, many of my high school friends went into auto collision. Also that cracked paint has to be stripped off the whole hood and re-paint it.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM
wes_wes101
Rookie

Dang.

Adukart- This might be a long shot, and maybe you don't know, but do you think I could fill the cracks with clear coat from a scratch repair kit and then polish it smooth?

Old 10-22-2013, 03:05 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional

+1 in that the only way to fix the clear coat peeling issue would be to get it resprayed.

As for the cracks, any action is better than letting them continue to get worse. Filling the cracks with clear coat from a scratch repair kit may work, but personally I would get some touch-up paint and use it to fill in the cracks with paint and protect them from spreading. These are just band-aids over the problem though, eventually they will fall off and have to be reapplied.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by alwaysclean19
+1 in that the only way to fix the clear coat peeling issue would be to get it resprayed.

As for the cracks, any action is better than letting them continue to get worse. Filling the cracks with clear coat from a scratch repair kit may work, but personally I would get some touch-up paint and use it to fill in the cracks with paint and protect them from spreading. These are just band-aids over the problem though, eventually they will fall off and have to be reapplied.
You could fill them in with touch up paint like you said. One could take it a couple steps further and wet sand the extra touch up paint down then compound and polish out the wet sand marks.

I know this video is about deep scratches but the concept stays. The only real fix is still to have it re-painted.

Quick Reply: Any paint pros?