1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

PLZ HELP! Overheating- Water Pump Sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 12:03 PM
The_Dingo_Ate_Cho_Bebe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLZ HELP! Overheating- Water Pump Sealant?

RE: 2001 durango 4x4

My truck is overheating and found out the water pump was bad. However, I cannot afford the labor in installing a new pump so pump so I'm wondering if there is a temporary fix just to get get me 60 miles down the road. Like some sort of A ceiling lake to make it stop leaking or something I have no cousins here or a brother's so I'm just on my own please Durango family help me ASAP.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:54 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

How fast is it leaking? If only a slight leak, fill up radiator and top off the overflow tank with coolant (do this when engine is cold) then drive the 60 miles. Watch the temp needle and don't ever let it get into the red. If it heats up too much halfway into the trip, stop and let it cool off and add again. You'll have to keep adding coolant till fixed. There is no seal that can stop that leak, at least one that won't cause problems elsewhere.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-13-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:49 AM
The_Dingo_Ate_Cho_Bebe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=

Yea, it gets hot and.into the red quickly. What's crazy is the reservoir is COMPLETELY FUll with the water I first filled it with When I noticed it was overheating So there must not be a leak because the water is still in it now I don't understand. I'm by myself and don't really know what to do I'm stranded

Old 09-15-2022, 09:30 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

[QUOTE=The_Dingo_Ate_Cho_Bebe;3551470][QUOTE=

Yea, it gets hot and.into the red quickly. What's crazy is the reservoir is COMPLETELY FUll with the water I first filled it with When I noticed it was overheating So there must not be a leak because the water is still in it now I don't understand. I'm by myself and don't really know what to do I'm stranded[/QUOTE]

Dont just check the overflow reservoir. Open the radiator cap when the engine is cold. That should be full too.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

how did you find out the water pump was bad? or is that just a guess since the truck is overheating?

if you are pushing coolant into the overflow, but not drawing it back out that makes me think that you have a leak somewhere else. possibly a headgasket leak between the cylinder and the water jacket. . .

Old 09-26-2022, 12:57 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just use distilled water, drive unti it hits 230F then pull over and let it cool off all the way. Then start again.
60 miles is a long way and will probably take a while. At the end of your trip make sure you have coolant and mix it 50/50%.

Quick Reply: PLZ HELP! Overheating- Water Pump Sealant?