1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Driver seat issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 AM
vallang708
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver seat issue

So I just got my 1999 Durango from a family member. There's only a few things that need to be done...no biggie, I need the room. So when I was on my way home, I went to brake and the seat slid forward (not all the way) a little bit and then slid back to where I had it when I accelerated. What could be the problem?? I've done searches on here, but haven't really found anything relating to this issue....or I have found postings, but no actual responses as to how to fix it. The seat has never really needed to be moved until now because he was the only one that ever drove it. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
jeff66
Rookie
Default RE: Driver seat issue

Sounds like the mechanism is a little sticky from not being used for so long, and it may just be that when you moved it you didn't get locked in all the way. There might not be anything wrong with it that a little grease couldn't take care of. You never mentioned if the seat was power or manual.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:36 PM
vallang708

Oops sorry, it has a power seat

Old 07-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

well known D issue I'm afraid...
surprised you have an electric seat on a 99...I retrofitted one on mine...
search the web...I have a web address where someone has specific instructions how to fix, but its at work.
I'll try and post it here for tomorrow...

Chris

Old 07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

try this link: http://www.craigcentral.com/durango/seat.asp

Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 AM
vallang708

Thanks a bunch!! I'll check that out!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My driver seat is now moving slightly forward when stopping and moving back when accelerating and is becoming annoying. I check out the link above and it looks like it requires some welding which I do not have access to and do not know of anyone that has a welding equipment to make this fix. Has anyone attempted to fix this problem in another affordable way?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Facory
Professional

My '98 had the same problem - annoying as hell. I finally took it to a Dodge dealer and they had to replace the entire mechanism. No problems after that. At that time I had an extended warranty - thankfully. I don't know what the charge would have been otherwise. I would think you could purchase the mechanism and replace it yourself as long as you already have the seat out. Shouldn't be too difficult. Better than messing with a band-aid fix.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM
mcdude
Default Rocking power driver's seat fix

Another possible problem that I found on my '98 was that the little plastic ball mechanisms on the power adjustment break. They are flimsey, and just a bad design.

I went to a pick-n-pull, and bought a replacement seat for 20 bucks. I wook the parts off, oull my seat, and swapped them out. Then, I out the funky old seat back together, wleded it, and use it now, as a shop seat, in my garage. Double bang for your buck!

Just my .02 cents!

Mick

Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to rehash a old post but my driver's seat is rocking a little more than usual to the point where it is very annoying. It used to move slightly. Now it is moving as much as 1/2 inch back and forth.

Anyone have any other alternatives to fix this other than replacing the whole thing or welding the brackets to the rod based on Bill's fix?

Quick Reply: Driver seat issue