1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

soft brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Ravage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft brakes

Hey you guys,I have a situation.
I recently changed the upper and lower ball joints on my 1998 Durango.Doing this required removing the front brake calipers.After I put it all back together,I noticed that the brakes didn't feel the same.They felt a little bit soft.A few days ago I replaced the front brake pads.I used a c-clamo to press the cylinders up into the calipers so the new pads would fit.Now the brakes feel quite soft.If I push the pedal hard it will go almost to the floor.Pumping the brakes does no good.It will stop,but not like it should.And when I stop and get out I can smell the brakes,like they are getting really hot.The 'abs' and 'brake' warning lights don't come on,I have made sure the reservoire is full,and the little red light on the bost thingy under the column comes on when I press the brake pedal like normal.Did I break something?Do I need a new booster or master cylinder
I hope you guys can help,and thanks in advance if you can.

BC

Last edited by Ravage; 08-16-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:18 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you need to bleed your brakes. when you replaced your pads what did the rotor look like?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

Originally Posted by nim81
sounds like you need to bleed your brakes. when you replaced your pads what did the rotor look like?

Agreed,probably just air in the system.Also make sure the pads are seated properly and the brake hose is not twisted.Sometimes when installing a caliper,if you twist the hose,it will give you a soft pedal as well.By the way you say you smell the brakes as they are getting hot,could be a restricted flow of fluid by the hose.

Last edited by MEINEKEMAN1; 08-16-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Ravage

They are in good shape.There is a little tiny bit of scoring on the right rotor on the inboard side because that side had just got metal to metal,but it is very little,still in very good shape.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well then if none of the hoses are twisted and brake fluid isnt pouring out of somewhere then a brake bleed should take care of it.
let us know how it works out

Quick Reply: soft brakes