1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

check engine light??? P0455

Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been having the same problem for awhile. I had the D up on the lift when my A/C gave out, turned out it was a leaking condenser. Had that replaced and while it was up,I had the mech look for the canister. Turned out all three lines were cracked so I had them replace them. The other connections looked ok so I had them clear the code and off I went. Drove around city traffic with the A/C going and no problems whatsoever. After 100+ miles, the code came back again! Damn!!! What could it be now??? So yesterday I look under the hood for any loose vacuum connections and I found the hose from the vacuum sensor(?)(next to the battery, with two elbows connected to it and electrical connection next to fender well) that connects to the service port (green cap with nozzle?) was completely off. It was dryrotted and split so I got a length of vacuum tube and replaced the bad one. I'm gonna see if that solves the problem. Normally I could drive around with the CEL on but it's getting close to the emissions inspections and I don't want to fail. I'll update after the inspections.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't remember what they call that. I don't have one but I think that was on the California model only.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

So now I'm in Maine with my family and no CEL throughout the trip! Yay!!! We logged in 300+ miles now and I think I fixed the 0455 problem with that last hose reconnect. When I filled up the tank before the trip, I heard the great sound of the vacuum being released when I took off the gas cap, ahhh... Will see what happens when we get back.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
dscdad77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it is a purge solenoid

the vacuum hoses with 2 elbows and a green capped port is the purge solenoid. yes it is a california thing. It has to do with ca. emissions and it is part of the evap system. purge solenoid. leak detection pump(next to and under the battery) evap cannister ( right next to the gas tank on left rail). If your throwing any codes for any of this stuff make sure you keep a eye on the 10 amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse block(next to battery) for the o2 sensors. If it is blown, your codes won't go away.........

Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the update dscdad77!

Hopefully you got the problem and from the sound of it you have.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 AM
INDIANA DAVE

This code has come back multiple times. I've left it alone, and it goes away after a 100 miles, or the next fuel fill up.
My wife thinks she made a connection.
She says that when she goes to a full service gas station, if she starts her Durango before the guy gets the cap back on, it will through the code.
She's waited until he tightens the cap. and says it hasn't done it since.
Don't know if it's valid or not, but maybe a possibility.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Okay so we're back from Maine. No codes for the 700+ miles. Got back yesterday afternoon. Went for the emissions test. Passed with flying colors. I guess the last hose connect did the trick. Hydra and dcs, were you two commenting on my D? About the green service port on the vacuum line? Well mine is located in-line on a hose. I did not see a green-capped solenoid with two elbows coming from it. So I guess mine is not from California.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

WOAH...WOAH....WOAH....WOAH!!!!! Lets stop this train right here right now.........

Dave: Where did you find a full service station? I am guessing not in Indiana, last place that I know of that still has that is NEW JERSEY.

LOL.... CARRY ON!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Dan<-------- Yes that would be true.

Dave<------- Yes that has to do with the gas cap. There is a vacuum and if the cap isn't tight then it kicks a CEL. Make sure she starts it after the cap is in place. If the problem continues even after the cap is installed before starting the truck then you need to replace the cap with a un-vented type.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
INDIANA DAVE

There are some Swifty's around here that fill your tank. I guess I shouldn't call them full service though. They don't clean your windwhsield, and I've never asked them to check the oil, but I'd bet I'd get a funny look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light??? P0455