1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0205 DTC on a 99 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Fuel pressure should be above about 50 psi. I believe new is 54 psi.

I know you feel reluctant on changing out your tune up parts but let me tell you this. I have personally witnessed Dodge vehicles not even start because of Autolite or other plugs. I've seen them totally misfire many times because of the wrong wires. The thing is this and whether it goes beyond vehicle knowledge or not, keep this in mind. Chrysler has put millions of dollars into the building and running of these motors. They have them just right for the most part. The thing here is; these computers are set up to sense even slight variance's and trigger codes. This is its job! When you play back yard mechanics you alter the computer. Who is one to say we can make it better?????

Testing and retesting on a magnitude scale is the only way to really figure out how to achieve this and a lot of home work has been done here already for you. I guess I personally don't understand your comments.

I think if you were to have come here first we might have been able to save you some green. This is why we are on here because of problems like this and we are tired of spending the cash up front just to get handed nothing. So join the crowd, we have all done it!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
88Nightmare
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I figured out my issue. My timing chain stretched. It must have skipped a tooth or two causing the perpetual misfire that I couldn't figure out, and finally it just gave out all together. I pulled my plugs out, and 5 out of 8 of them are smashed. With all the plugs out, the motor wont turn over, shes locked up tight.

I don't mean to bring blasphemy up on these boards, but I am seriously done with chrysler products. I had a 1991 silverado with a 305ci TBI and 275k miles still runs. original trans and all. It burns oil, but it starts every day and gets the job done.

Anyway, anyone looking for a cheap 1999 Durango SLT+? 3rd row seat, rear air, remote start, gibson catback, S&B CAI, superchips reflash. Just needs a motor

Last edited by 88Nightmare; 10-06-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well nice to see ya back!

Hate to tell you, that you must have installed the spark plugs wrong or installed the wrong plugs all together (like I said)!

Even if your timing chain stretched it could NOT blow the motor! It just wouldn't run right. If a valve was open then you might bend one but it wouldn’t blow your motor period! You installed spark plugs that were the wrong size and the wrong one's that protruded into the cylinder too far! YOU BLEW THE MOTOR! You just don't understand how this happened and want to blame the motor company.

Second, timing chains don't just stretch out. This is a slow process that usually gives signs. When this happens the motor would switch out from normal running to crap while it was running or a full shut down. Slow moving chains have a very small chance of ever doing this because of normal centripetal force of high speed. If you skipped a tooth it could run missing like crazy, but normally it would quit.

Now to your motor. You installed the wrong plugs that the cylinder smashed and this created your problem and now you have pieces of spark plugs in the rings against the cylinder walls. This is why it's locked up. You might be able to take off the heads and clear the obstructions and be ok, but who knows. This is why the miss fire so I would be weary of the chain being the culprit.

If you would have lessoned, you wouldn't of had this problem. Sorry!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-06-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: P0205 DTC on a 99 Durango