Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango Won't Start

Old 10-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1 of our rides is a 99 Durango
Default 1999 Durango Won't Start

Hey All

I have a 1999 Durango, wonít start. Battery is solid, cranks strong and I checked for spark, itís good. It does have a peculiar sound while it cranks now though. Sounds kinda tight, like thereís absolutely no chance Iím gonna start for you sound! What do I check next? Looked in the fuse box, I have no clue what I am looking at. A footnote here that may be relevantÖ when I just turn the ignition key to the on position I do not hear the fuel pump firing up, should I be able to hear some action? Any help is appreciated!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 00' Dodge Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrasso View Post
Hey All

when I just turn the ignition key to the on position I do not hear the fuel pump firing up, should I be able to hear some action?
Well just seeing the title this was one of my first questions. I'm not sure but there should be a fuse/fusible link or something of that nature in the power distribution center. Start there. After that I'm thinking a new fuel pump is in your future. Just to be sure test your fuel pressure with a pressure tester on the fuel rail. you should have 50 PSI at the rail.

Have you run the tank empty or near empty numerous times? If so don't do that anymore. It will overheat the pump and kill it in short order. Always leave fill up at the 1/4 tank mark as much as possible.

HD Diesel Mechanic
00 Durango 5.9L SLT
I've got a few things done

Last edited by Mean Green; 10-18-2008 at 07:13 PM..
Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Captain
2000 Dodge Durango

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango 5.2 mag

+2 on that, you should hear some sound from the fuel pump when the key is turned.

275/45/20s+30X9.5's for the winter, Bilstiens, Moog ball joints, Personal made front grill, Custom made ram air, Tornado, Fuel Boss, Champion spark plugs, Accel ignition coil, new GMB water pump, 180 degree Jet T-stat, rebuilt trans with shift kit, PVC enhancer!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default Sounds from fuel pump?

Had to ask my neighbor to shut down his lawnmower. To confirm, when I turn the ignition to the on position....I hear zip! Power Dist. Center confuses the hell out of me, what am I looking for in there? No info as to what relates to what? I have a feeling I will be dropping in a new pump but I would love to get lucky here and find something like a fuse....that is if I knew what fuse or link to be looking for? Any ideas fellas? Much gratitude...Mike
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 00' Dodge Durango

The inside of the cover should tell you which fuse/link to take a look at. I don't have the D with me or I would look at where it's located and get back to you. If you're still having problems go pick up a chilton's/haynes manual.

I would get someone to hit the key for you and go get under the tank and listen. It should be a short (1-2 seconds) whir. I'd say if it's a zip then the vanes in the pump are probably not extending when they should and that could possibly cause it to overspeed creating the zip you're hearing.

HD Diesel Mechanic
00 Durango 5.9L SLT
I've got a few things done

Last edited by Mean Green; 10-19-2008 at 09:09 AM..
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 AM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator
2002 Dodge Durango
My Garage

Vehicle: 2013 Challenger R/T
Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr325

i think when he siad he hears zip he meant nothing zip as in zero nada it failed to make noise

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?
REAR WIPER CLUB MEMBER #2

Quote:
altair: I need something that lets me stab people in the face over the internet
Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default No nuttin

OK, stuck my head under the tank, partner turned the key to on, could've heard a pin drop!
Absolutely nothing in regard to noise, pump motors, etc. I moved around a few fuse's and continued to test the key and noise in tank gig, still nothing. I shot some starter fluid in the carb, not starting? What would be your next move if this beast was parked in your driveway? Thanks a ton fellas!!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

Two problems here.

1. There is a relay under the hood in the power box on the drivers side on the fender half way down up by the hood next to the battery. Open the box lid and under #29 (on mine) is the fuel pump relay. There should be a spare relay in the box and is listed as spare if you read the diagram on the top of the lid. Look at the relay and read the number on it. There should be only 2 different kinds in the box. Just replace it with the spare or switch it with a different one of the same part number. Also there is a fuse #17 (on mine) that gives it power located in this distribution box. This will test whether is a relay or a pump and wiring.

This relay shuts the fuel pump down if you are in a roll over or accident to shut the motor off. There might be a reset somewhere I can look for.

2. There is a test port on the drivers side mid fuel rail that you can test the pressure. It looks like a tire stem. Although it is larger by a fraction so a tire tester will not work. If you turn the key to run and push the button it should shoot fuel all over. This is the back yard mechanics way of seeing if it is working. If it dribbles then it's the pump not working.

Here are some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2403.jpg (47.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2404.jpg (43.3 KB, 36 views)

Moto: I don't take sides, I hate everyone equally --- #1 V10 Club Member V10 Club

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-19-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

According to the schematics there is no reset.

It must be in the relay or shut down relay.

Moto: I don't take sides, I hate everyone equally --- #1 V10 Club Member V10 Club

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather
Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Rookie
2000 Dodge Durango

Vehicle: 2000 Durango 4.7

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the works, but have you done a scan for codes on your truck? The only reason I ask is my 2000 behaved exactly the same way earlier this week... turns out the crank sensor threw a code and prevented it from starting...
Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Tags
1999, 2002, 99, box, changing, computer, durango, fuel, fuse, location, pump, relay, reset, start, test, turns