1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango Transmission problems

Old 11-21-2008, 01:02 PM
lurchy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango Transmission problems

I have a 99 Durango with 150k on it. It has been well maintained and I have owned it since it had 20k on it. I ran into this problem towards the end of last winter and now that it is cold here again, the problem has resurfaced.

When I drive the truck after it has been sitting for more than 3 or hours, the transmission will shift from 1 to 2, and then when it shifts to 3rd it stays out of gear until the RPM's hit about 4k.

I am REALLY hoping it isn't a sign of the tranny going bad, but I am guessing it is. I can let the truck warm up for 10-15 minutes to avoid the problem, but I am afraid this won't work forever.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lurchy
I have a 99 Durango with 150k on it. It has been well maintained and I have owned it since it had 20k on it. I ran into this problem towards the end of last winter and now that it is cold here again, the problem has resurfaced.

When I drive the truck after it has been sitting for more than 3 or hours, the transmission will shift from 1 to 2, and then when it shifts to 3rd it stays out of gear until the RPM's hit about 4k.

I am REALLY hoping it isn't a sign of the tranny going bad, but I am guessing it is. I can let the truck warm up for 10-15 minutes to avoid the problem, but I am afraid this won't work forever.

Any thoughts?
Got the model down but Engine? Trans?
I want to say your in need of an adjustment.
Ever have the bands adjusted when the transmission was serviced?
Govern valve/fluid level/tps

Last edited by Duranged408; 11-21-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added suggestions
Old 11-21-2008, 02:29 PM
lurchy

Sorry, it has the 318 in it. I am not sure which tranny it has. The truck is completely stock.

I flush the tranny over 30-40k, but I have never been asked or knew to ask about getting other adjustments made. It is has been 25k since the last flush, fluid level is good and clean, and I am not sure what TPS is. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I do not more than the average joe. Is this something a typical garage would know about, or are they going to give me that deer in the headlights look?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
lurchy

Ok after some more research I found many others with the exact same problem i am having. They all recommended getting the bands adjusted first. So i call my local Dodge dealer, and they are saying I don't have bands on my transmission, it is only on the older models. I have not faith in this dealer, as they tried to rip me off before. I was calling more to get a price and see what they had to say about it.

So how do I tell if my truck does or does not have bands?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Ok after some more research I found many others with the exact same problem i am having. They all recommended getting the bands adjusted first. So i call my local Dodge dealer, and they are saying I don't have bands on my transmission, it is only on the older models. I have not faith in this dealer, as they tried to rip me off before. I was calling more to get a price and see what they had to say about it.

So how do I tell if my truck does or does not have bands?
With the 318, it has the 44re tranny and it does have band. Find somewhere else to take it. Somewhere that has an employee with a clue.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 AM
lurchy

Thanks for the replies. I am going to drop it off at a trusted mechanic on Monday. I will post back after the holidays to let you know how it goes.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:50 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I am going to drop it off at a trusted mechanic on Monday. I will post back after the holidays to let you know how it goes.
Find the online procedure to adjust the band and print it out to take with you. Hand it to your mechanic and ask him to do that. That way, if he's not done it before, he will know what you're talking about.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow those idiots think you have the 4.7 which started in 00'.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I called a dealer and they told me my 99 5.2L 44RE does not have bands I would be calling the district office. Sorry but I don't put up with rip off BS like that. There was no "thinking" he had a 4.7, they knew exactly what they was talking about and just trying to rip another person off.. I hate shops anymore, 99% of them try to rip people off nowadays and they seriously need to start holding these people accountable for doing so.. Just like our government, they are so used to getting away with it they don't even think twice in doing so..

Old 11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll let you guys know when I'm done with school and have ton's of experience in the field as I am thinking about opening my own shop. Maybe I'll call it "No BS"

Side note where the hell did all the good smiley's go I can't put the smiley scratching his chin deep in thought...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Durango Transmission problems