1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Strange Issues with 2000 Durango

Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 PM
JamesH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Issues with 2000 Durango

A little background Story..

Bought it with cash.. 2 days later the motor popped.. 3rd party warrenty covered all but 700$ of the bill. Ran fine for about 6,000 miles or 8 months. All maintenence has been on time and all fluids check out well. Cant see any sludge from oil fill hole

Now.. When you start the car it will immediatly stall unless you manually keep the RPM's above 1k .. if you do this for a few minutes, you can go on your merry way, drive all day making stops and turning off vehicle, get back in and it will start up fine.

During the first start up of the day just before it stalls the RPM's will fluctuate a bit . 300rpm -1200 rpm and then quickly stall.

Any ideas what it could be or what I could do to narrow it down?

Thaks in Advance

Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

Clean your throttle body and idle control valve... Almost guarantee that'll fix it...

Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 PM
JamesH

New Development ***

Found some sludge where the truck was parked, It was almost a yellow/white mucus color (sorry gross) but was definatly petroleum based.
While I was checking Fluids I noticed that the coolant was down , still see able in bottom of resovoir though.

Weather variables.. Its been freezing every day here for past 2 weeks (Columbus Ohio) with the exception being yesterday and today 40 to 50 degrees, could this cause the sludge?

Checked oil.. it was full, dip stick was clean. Just had Oil + filter changed and tires rotated and re- balanced by Midas maybe a week or 200 miles ago

Are these 2 things related?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesH
When you start the car it will immediatly stall unless you manually keep the RPM's above 1k .. if you do this for a few minutes, you can go on your merry way, drive all day making stops and turning off vehicle, get back in and it will start up fine.

During the first start up of the day just before it stalls the RPM's will fluctuate a bit . 300rpm -1200 rpm and then quickly stall.

Any ideas what it could be or what I could do to narrow it down?

You have a dead battery. Get the sludge BS out of your head and get a new cell.

From there, all should be fine. Doubtful you will even have to reset the PCM. Just add the bat.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 12-10-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the plugs as well (pull all of them not just one) and test the battery before replacing it just to make sure it is a problem. I believe it definitely can be the battery as cold weather will really let you know just how healthy your battery truly is. Auto Zone will test the battery for free for you. I had this issue when I put platinum plugs in my D and it could transfer right over to fouled plugs just as well.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamesH
New Development ***

Found some sludge where the truck was parked, It was almost a yellow/white mucus color (sorry gross) but was definatly petroleum based.
While I was checking Fluids I noticed that the coolant was down , still see able in bottom of resovoir though.
Resovior (overflow) is not an accurate reading of coolant level...
The whole sludge non-sense is that, non-sense.

I'd reccomend looking for that coolant leak if the oil level is fine...
Everything else comes last, with no coolant you would overheat/trash your new engine.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 AM
JamesH

Ill check the Battery , But it is less than 2 months old , and it cranks fine .. starts right up just wont run idle till it gets warm.

there was deffinatly sludge of some form under the car, it tasted kinda like vasoline, deffinatly petrol based

" no coolant you would overheat/trash your new engine. "

Truck is running cool even after driving for hours.

Last edited by JamesH; 12-11-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

Try cleaning the throttle body yet? As for the "sludge" there should really be nothing like that in your vehicle... Maybe it was from something else... You say it looked and tasted like vasoline, maybe it was?!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 AM
cvc7chris

it's a lemon..

Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the idle problem is your IAC controller, its ont eh back of the throttle body, replace it and i bet the idle problem will go away, or at least that is what solved the problem on my other truck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Issues with 2000 Durango