1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Died in traffic, won't start :(

Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 PM
tarathatcher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Durango Died in traffic, won't start :(

2001 Durango R/T 74,000 miles

My Durango has really let me down again. Twice in the last 3 weeks...this time I was sitting in traffic and it started loping and died. It will not start. It will crank all day long, but won't fire. I checked the fuel pressure at the schrader valve, it is getting fuel. It shot out when I pushed it. The only code that I am getting is a P1682 low voltage code. It's been totally tuned up with new cap rotor plugs k&n filter and wires when I first got it 2 months ago.

I just replaced the water pump two weeks ago when it went and took out my belt, which then left me stranded on the side of the road. Had to get my husband to drag me home that time with our Ford Explorer! This is the only vehicle to have ever left me stranded! Please help me figure it out, I love it and don't want to just get rid of it. That $160 tow bill on Christmas Eve was enough to really irritate me. I have to have this truck to get to work in bad weather.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I think the igniton switch under the steering column is bad. It used to knock my radio out when I used my blinkers occasionally. (factory radio) Could this be an issue with it dying?

Tara

Old 12-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it down to an autozone or the likes if possible. If not possible remove the battery and alternator and get them tested. Your code is indicating that the alternator is not putting out enough current. This is most likely due to a bad voltage regulator battery temp sensor, or blown diodes in the alternator. Definitely get the battery checked even though this most likely isn't your problem due to low/no charging might have made the battery sulfate (go bad). Our D's don't run well when there is a shortage of electricity.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:02 PM
tarathatcher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get the truck anywhere. I had it towed to my house. I'll probably get the alternator checked, but why would it just die with no warning? Volts were fine, I looked when it started running rough right before it died.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can happen. If everything is not perfect with the charging system our D's don't do well and in your case may not start at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Died in traffic, won't start :(