Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 1st Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 durango is stuck in park

Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Unhappy 2002 durango is stuck in park

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango. I also have been having a lot of recent issues (past month) where my car will start fine but is stuck in park. Each time, I let the truck run for about an hour & it finally will shift out of park after several attempts. I thought that it may be the solenoid being affected by the colder temps in the morning (it can be freezing), as I am trying to leave for work. But, it just happened this evening & it was over 40 degrees outside, so ??
This is what I do know:
The brake lights are functioning (I hear the click)
Transmission fluid is OK
Battery strength is OK

Please, if anyone has any information that may be helpful, it would greatly appreciated..it has happened several times this month already & I'm afraid it's just going to get worse. I know I will likely need to take it to the shop, but before i do, it would be great to have siome ideas going in on what it might be & how $$$ I can expect. Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:37 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator
2002 Dodge Durango
My Garage

Vehicle: 2013 Challenger R/T
Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr325

mine did this last winter when it got cold also, what i found fixed it was after you start the truck(or before if you please) disconnect the brake light switch (unplug it at the pedal)shift the truck into nuetral, (keep the ebrake on so it doesnt roll) then plug the switch back in and start the truck in nuetral, always worked to get mine to shift out of park

i did this a couple times and it stopped sticking too, so im not 100% sure what was causing it, but since it stopped im going to assume a loose connection which i tightened when i plugged it back in a couple times

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?
REAR WIPER CLUB MEMBER #2

Quote:
altair: I need something that lets me stab people in the face over the internet
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Garage is empty, add now

The boot at the base of the column shifter needs to be pulled loose to access the little plunger that locks the shifter. Ours was doing the same thing and causing the dash lights to dim each time the brakes were applied. The brake/shifter interlock switch was jacked up. Once you pull the boot, there's a piece above where the shifter attaches to the column, push in on that and you should be able to pull it from park.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: '02 Durango SXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
The boot at the base of the column shifter needs to be pulled loose to access the little plunger that locks the shifter. Ours was doing the same thing and causing the dash lights to dim each time the brakes were applied. The brake/shifter interlock switch was jacked up. Once you pull the boot, there's a piece above where the shifter attaches to the column, push in on that and you should be able to pull it from park.
A little late on this response, but I was searching for something else and found it, so I figured I would contribute my 2 cents. I just dealt with this on my Durango, and successfully fixed it. My brake lights were working fine as well, so I knew it wasn't the brake switch. It was also randomly working and not working.

This is what I found out. Pull that boot at the base of the shifter, like cyclops said. When the shifter is getting stuck, you will see the little metal tab that pops up to stop it from moving backward. That tab is connected to a piece that slides forward and backward. I watched it while the boot was off and you can see how it all works. Mine was basically stuck with dirt/dust etc... It was SLOWLY moving out of the way, but too slowly. So, when I tried to put it in gear, I was quicker than it was.

What I did was, after observing where all of the contact points are, I applied a liberal amount of WD-40 to the contact points. Then I manually moved the slider back and forth to work it all in. Now it moves like butter and it gets out of the way quickly...the way it is supposed to.

Hopefully this helps someone else searching for this issue.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2002 Durango Stuck In Park Fix!

I just finished fixing this issue of my 2002 SLT Durango being stuck in park. I had it stuck a few times before but always got it to release after a few trys. I just traveled to Iowa where it is -14 in mornings and I am from South Carolina not near this cold. The problem is the interlock mechanics needs lubricated every so often. The combination of cold and lack of lubricating I am sure was responsible for it not releaseing this time. I took the steering cover off (3 T-20 screws) and lubricated with some REM OIL used for lubing guns.. Any good light lube oil will work, REM OIL is very reliable for this and I had some available.

Simply access the the mechanisim and physically move it while sparying a liberal amount of oil. It will immediately respond, and thats it.

I am seeing some have been able to just remove the shifter boot from the colum and I wish I had tried that. I however removed the plastic steering colum with a T -20 srewdriver. You will need a long one for one of the screws. There were three total for mine. Once you have the right screw driver its an easy fix.

Good luck ..
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

The shifter / park interlock was recalled on those, did you have your recall done?? It's the G28 recall.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator
2002 Dodge Durango
My Garage

Vehicle: 2013 Challenger R/T
Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr325

not all trucks are affected by that recall, i know mine isnt bc i called the dealer and bitched about it when mine acted up and it was not listed as part of the recall, and that recall was for them NOT locking and allowing the truck to shift out of park into nuetral "on its own"

i also recommend spraying contact cleaner into the plug at the brake light switch to make sure the contacts are connecting properly

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?
REAR WIPER CLUB MEMBER #2

Quote:
altair: I need something that lets me stab people in the face over the internet
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

gimme the last 9 of the VIN and I'll let you know
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

Looks like we have a new tech on the block. Just can't wait to see what happens next!

Moto: I don't take sides, I hate everyone equally --- #1 V10 Club Member V10 Club

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 View Post
not all trucks are affected by that recall, i know mine isnt bc i called the dealer and bitched about it when mine acted up and it was not listed as part of the recall, and that recall was for them NOT locking and allowing the truck to shift out of park into nuetral "on its own"

i also recommend spraying contact cleaner into the plug at the brake light switch to make sure the contacts are connecting properly
I think all the 1998 and 1999 do that. In mine the brake doesn't need to be depressed before shifting after the key is turned.

Moto: I don't take sides, I hate everyone equally --- #1 V10 Club Member V10 Club

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Tags
2002, brake, dodge, dodgetruckstuckinpark, durango, find, light, park, ram, shift, shifting, stuck, switch, transmission, truck