1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 PM
luckysailor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 01 Durango electrical issue

Hello all, My wifes 01 is acting up the dual zone can not be adjusted for temp and cannot be switched from defrost the a/c won't come on the rear defrost won't work and the rear wiper is dead also including the washer. The 10 amp fuse in slot #25 blows repeatedly the blower runs but not correctly and the blower resistor has been replaced in the last 24 hours not a bad job thanks to the info on the forum. I have a Haynes manual but have not found anything on the dual zone at all. Anyone ever been in this spot? Kinda cold up here in NY to mess about outside hope you can point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow sounds like quite a few problems. First off please list off your problems, they are all jumbled together and making it tough to differentiate between them. Second Do you know how to use a voltmeter because it will help out a lot in this situation.

Let me know what your skill level is with electrical testing/diagnosis is and I'll help you out the best that I can.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
luckysailor
Default Sure thing

Voltmeter have one and am capable.
Issues: rear wiper/washer not operable at all.
#25 slot fuse 10 amp blows repeatedly (heater fuse)(manual wiring diagram shows rear wiper also connected)
The dual zone climate control will not change from defrost. The two upper fan speeds work but thats all.
The A/C switch will not come on.
The rear defogger will not come on.
As far as how this came about my wife was driving to her Moms all was fine got back in the truck to come home and everything was haywire.
Also there is heat at the defroster and the blower resistor was replaced yesterday 12/31

Last edited by luckysailor; 01-01-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Mean Green
Champion

"#25 slot fuse 10 amp blows repeatedly (heater fuse)(manual wiring diagram shows rear wiper also connected)"

Ok let's see what we can do here. First off if you have an old sealed beam headlight or just any old headlight bulb in general you can make yourself a simple test light. All you need to do is hook two wires to it. One to the positive and one to the negative terminal on it and plug it into fuse #25's place to complete the circuit. This will allow the short circuit to have a load before the short preventing any damage that would be done otherwise. Turn off any accessories that go to this circuit if the light works do it that way. If it does not turn on turn on the accessories that go to this circuit. Now work your way down the circuit wiggling the harness. When the light goes out or dims open up the harness in the area that you were wiggling on and look for your short.

"The dual zone climate control will not change from defrost. The two upper fan speeds work but thats all."

Since you replaced your blower resistor look into the fan switch being shot. As far as the fan being stuck in the defrost setting that is a vacuum line issue. You should have a small vacuum line going through the firewall at the heater core. Check to see if it is broken/cracked. If not you need to look at the rest of your vacuum lines. How well is your D running?

"The rear defogger will not come on."

Go through the circuit for the rear window defogger with your voltmeter testing for voltage drops across each connector, switch, and splice in the circuit it may be the switch itself. If you have a signifigant drop across anything then you need to reapir or replace that component.

Now after writing all of this I reread your post in its entirety. You are saying everything went bad at the same time? I'm at work right now but when I have time on Monday I will take a look at the wiring schematics to see what everything has in common if that is the case. Definitely follow that short and you may find that was your only issue.

Last edited by Mean Green; 01-03-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 PM
luckysailor
Default electric issue

Hey Mean thanks for the info I'm gonna try to get at it today if possible gonna give the headlight a try. I pulled the dash and got the hvac control hangin through the hole so its easy to mess with.

There are four plugs on the back so I tried a few things,
first the fan speeds all work sorry I should have checked this out sooner.
The fuse does not blow if the key is just in the on position as soon as I start the D it pops
I tried starting with one plug at a time and the only one that causes the fuse to go is the top right as you look at the control, this is the one that comes from the #25 fuse
I talked with my wife a bit more and she is not sure when this came about she didn't notice it till she was coming home the other day.

So right now three of the plugs are connected the fan works on all speeds and the fuse is okay but still no A/c
Rear defrost
Rear Wiper
No ability to change from defrost
Also even for a 2001 with 113,000 miles it runs like a champ fires right up and is super dependable.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Check out the write up I just did if you are having issues with the testing. Check out your pressure sensor for the a/c.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM
nick2k

Not to dredge up an old thread, but I'm having this identical problem. What was the resolution?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 AM
nick2k

Replaced the HVAC control panel, problem seems to be solved!

Quick Reply: 01 Durango electrical issue