1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0753 Code Issues

Old 01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
westwind77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0753 Code Issues

I had some 'noise' coming from the front end, most noticable from 15mph-0, took it to a local place, and they said the front drive shaft was damaged, which is about right based on the noise, bearing type. Anyway, went to pick it up and it suddenly has a trasmission issue, code P0753. The truck is 'stuck' in 3rd gear when in 'D'. I can column shift to 2nd, but that is all it will allow.

My reader says it is:
P0753 - Overdrive Solenoid Circuit

Looking on-line I find:
P0753 (M) Transmission 3-4 Shift Soleniod/Transmission Relay Circuits An open or shorted circuit detected in the overdrive solenoid control circuit or trans relay circuit in JTEC RE transmissions . Was MIL code 45.

The place I had work on it does not do transmission work, so took it to a local dealer. They said the PCM is bad, want $1000 for replacement. I know I can take my out, wait 10 days, and get it back for $300 IF that is the problem.

Is the dealer right? Is this a PCM issue of some other cheap electrical fix?

This morning I got in the truck, started fine and actually ran perfect, NO transmission issues for about 1 mile, then it dropped back into 'limp' mode and was locked in 3rd gear. Fluid level is fine, transmission is mechanically fine.

Could a plugged transmission filter cause this? I read that is possible, but not sure if it would trip that code. My next route would be I have the FT & PT 4 wheel drive system, could the drive shaft replacement damaged a sensor used for that system and cause it to trip the code?

I have heard if there is not a correct speed sensor input that the transmission will go into limp mode, but I do not know if anything in the front end could possibly cause this?

1999 Durango SLT+ 5.9L

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical

If any metal fragments (at all) get into the trany it can hang up the Solenoid.

Fix........Replace the Solenoid and I would replace the Govenor Solenoid. First thing first. Drop the pan and replace the filter. While you are in there I would replace both sensors which are right there. Also do a band adjustment while you are there. Make sure you ONLY use the right fluid, so see your owners manual. This is NOT a PCM problem in my opinion. This issue is well documented.

As for your second question....... The work you did on the front shaft (either drive shaft or half shaft) should not play into this problem. I think your safe to say the shop didn't do anything.

This is why I like to "only" do the work myself.

I don't think you have a input sensor on that trans. You do have an output sensor on it located on the drivers side mid way down.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your local dealer is basically saying "I don't know what it is, let's throw parts at it". Look into replacing Solenoid A...

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you ck the solenoid pack wire connector, Thats the connector going into top of the valve body. Maybe shop that did the driveshaft could have unplug the connector. And did the dealer spend time looking at the wires and doing an omh test, before telling you the PCM is no good. If you like the PDF to perform the P0753 test send me an E-mail and I'll send it to you.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ he kicks butt ^

Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
westwind77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Did you ck the solenoid pack wire connector, Thats the connector going into top of the valve body. Maybe shop that did the driveshaft could have unplug the connector. And did the dealer spend time looking at the wires and doing an omh test, before telling you the PCM is no good. If you like the PDF to perform the P0753 test send me an E-mail and I'll send it to you.
Thank you! I PM'ed you a message with my e-mail.

I started the truck today, cold out (22F) drove around for about 12 miles, NO problems, transmission working perfect now. Very werid, it did this the last cold day, but only lasted about 1 mile before locking back into 3rd again. I plan to drop the pan, replace the solenoids/sensors while I am in there, replacing the filters, checking all connections, refilling, and most importantly crossing my fingers! I will follow up with what is found, thanks!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
^ he kicks butt ^
He does doesn't he.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ LOL ^

Master has thrown out some great ifo on here, and some strange ones.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Mean Green
Champion

He definitely has a handle on those not so commonly heard of issues. That o2 sensor power steering leak one was a doozy.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ya but he was right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0753 Code Issues