Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

Starter DIY 5.9L and 5.2L

Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Jay Lewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to ask a quick question before I go out and spend $100-150 on a new starter.

My 2000 Durango, whenever I try to start the engine, clicks. Just one single click and then nothing. It doesn't even start to turn over. The battery has a good charge, and all the fuses and relays are good, as are all the connections. My Haynes manual tells me it's probably the starter solenoid. Can I get the solenoid by itself or do I have to buy the starter motor and solenoid together?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a Do It Yourself thread and not a conversational thread. Please post a new thread with your issues and if you would like post a link to this thread so we know what you are talking about.

You can also look in here under Starter to find information on diagnosing a starter. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
wham
Default 1996 1500 slt

Got to do this on my 1996 1500 SLT with 5.2. Anybody tell me what the differences or similarities are as far as the removable fender "peep hole" or any other difference I might run into.

thanks,
Tim H.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wham
Got to do this on my 1996 1500 SLT with 5.2. Anybody tell me what the differences or similarities are as far as the removable fender "peep hole" or any other difference I might run into.

thanks,
Tim H.
The Ram's are pretty much the same thing...

Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
hooraysimpsons

Originally Posted by professionalsql
I also have to compliment the effort - very helpful. My minor comments:

The wire from the key switch is a plug for some years/starters (mine is a '99), so you may not need the 8mm. The key on these is to release the plug lock in two steps: Release the red slider (something of a lock to the lock), and then press the release while pulling the plug away. In this configuration, it looks almost exactly like the example provided by hydra, but it is just a tension lock rather than a nut holding it on.

The angle is difficult for getting on the feed from the battery. I found that a smaller ratchet (a 1/4") with a knuckle (aka a universal joint) really did the trick for handling that nut.

For me, the top mounting nut was pretty much immovable. I used some thread eaze and tried several different options, but the angle into the nut provided very little choice for gaining leverage. In the end, I was able to position a 3/8 ratchet with a 5" extension on it, then feed a breaker bar over the ratchet by guiding the breaker bar through the driver's side wheel well. It was tough getting enough room to work, but after a surprisingly loud "crack", the bolt game loose.

I also had a bit of trouble breaking the bottom mounting nut free. For this one I got a bit creative since there was even less room to work with. I used a simple box wrench (which was short enough to move in the space), and wound up placing a floor jack under it with a round piece of pipe pushing against the end of the wrench. In just a few pumps of the floor jack, the bottom bolt was loose.

Thanks again for the guide. I had enough of a fight with mine as it was - I can't imagine if I hadn't had this for a primer.
Sorry to dig up an old post. I just finished putting a starter back in based on instructions provided in this thread and I had one problem. As mentioned in the quote, my key switch wire was connected to the starter with a plug. I can't get the plug to reconnect all the way. The tension of the wire creates enough contact that I can crank the vehicle but I was wondering if anyone knows a trick to get the plug to reconnect properly.

Thanks

Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great DIY...this is featured today on the DF Front Page's Tech Thread Spotlight.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 AM
michelle8684
Default please help

I have a 2001 dodge Durango, my question is can a start crack and thy keep it from starting? this morning my sister went out and cranked it and it done fine well a few mins later we started hearing a noise went and look it was my truck , well it started smoking on he driver side (it smelled like rubber) so we ran outside to turn it off. a lil while after it done that I tried to crank it, it wouldn't crack, it didn't turn over or nothing, it just clicked.. do u have any idea what is wrong and can a start crack. my friend looked under it and seen a crack in it. please message me back...

Old 07-31-2019, 11:52 AM
00DurangoKY
Default Easier than this...

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
12. There is the transmission shifting cable that runs through this area so be aware.

13. Hold the starter up and fully remove the upper bolt. Note: The starter/coil is HEAVY so beware!

14. Now the starter can be taken out through the opening between the frame and the body directly above the brake balancer. Great care should be taken when doing this to ensure NO damage occurs with any contact between the two. Take it easy. You will have to pull the plastic wheel well towards you and do some fancy moving to get it out. I tried for hours to find a different way to remove it from the vehicle and this is how you can remove it and install. Take a look at the pictures of me installing the new one for directions and procedures on removing the old one in order. Installing sequence will be in reverse order so look at this careful!

Attachment 111915

Attachment 111916

Attachment 111917

Attachment 111918

Attachment 111919

15. Remove old starter.

16. Now it is best to install a NEW starter and get one with a lifetime warranty from your choice of auto parts warehouse. I am against Remanufactured Starters/Coils because I have had them go out a lot but each to their own. But some come with a lifetime warranty so just know that you might do this again. Right now the only one I could get was a remanufactured one so of course I’m installing a different one 50k miles latter. But it had a lifetime warranty. Oh Well……..

17. Check both starters to ensure that it is a direct replacement.

Attachment 111920

18. On the top of the Starter Housing and under the Coil you will notice a medium sized rubber boot that covers the Starter Lead Wire from the coil. It covers a wire with a lug style connection that is covered by the boot. During installation the rubber boot can be pulled back and expose the connection so ensure after installation that it is covering the connection. You can’t see this connection but you can see the wire on the bottom barely, which is being pointed to.

19. Pull the plastic wheel well covering back and place the starter in the area like shown above and install in the correct order as shown above.

20. Clean wire leads before installing them on the new starter to ensure a great connection. Torque Starter Dog Ear Mounting Bolts to 50 ft. lbs. and tighten the wire leads to 120 in. lbs.

21. Here's what you should end up with.

Attachment 111921
I have a 2000 Durango 5.2 and it was much easier than this method. There was no obstruction below the starter. I dropped it straight out the bottom, although I did use the peep hole to reach the top bolt.

Im not sure why the discrepancy, but it was a snap.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:38 PM
django235

Originally Posted by 00DurangoKY
I have a 2000 Durango 5.2 and it was much easier than this method. There was no obstruction below the starter. I dropped it straight out the bottom, although I did use the peep hole to reach the top bolt.

Im not sure why the discrepancy, but it was a snap.
I have a 98 Durango 5.2L, but its 4x4. I had to take the starter out the driver's wheel well, between the fender liner and frame, after removing the plastic cover for the proportioning valve, just as the OP described.
THe starter could not go straight down, because the front pumpkin and driveshaft is in the way.

If your durango is 4x2, it might be different.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:02 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

you have more room to work with Not a big deal but neither are the Dakotas/Durangos with this engine to do a starter on. Any of them suck when you have to do them laying on your back. There are much worse starters than these ones to have to replace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter DIY 5.9L and 5.2L