Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Try putting it 2h, then back up and turn the wheel each direction. You should be able to tell if it is still engaged after this. To be safe you shouldn't exceed 55mph until you for sure know that it disengaged, that is recommended by dodge.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Issues

K...will do this morning. I did last night after reading around here. When shifting from 2H to 4H you should see a light on the dash, no? I see it when I am in 4L. Also, if shifting from 2H to 4H should you feel something engaging?
I can just move the shifter freely from 2H to 4H and back without anything happening. My concern is that humming sound from, where I believe it to be, the middle of the vehicle somewhere. It winds up higher or lower depending on my speed. I changed the Differential fluid from the back (nice and almost black it was) to see if that would do...nothing. I do appreciate your response and your time.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes the light should come on in the instrument cluster. Most likely the transfer case range switch on the top of your NV231 transfer case has gone bad. It is about 2 inches above the linkage going into the T-case.

+1 on reversing and turning in each direction fully to remove any axle bind that might be necessary.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Default 4WD issues

Well, thank you very much for such quick and useful replies. Amazing.

Can I assume then that the humming sound IS actually that the truck is stuck in 4H? I don't want to take this thing in and have someone tell me i have to sell one of my kids to pay for the repairs just because I have no clue.

The transfer case range switch...even if gone bad can still allow the truck to shift into 4L and show so on the Dash as it is doing in my case?
Well, by the looks of this truck it has never been used in 4WD...maybe i surprised it and now it's all scared and doesnt want to go back to normal...

I do love this truck more and more. It is a 1999 with that big engine and even though it had 100k miles it looks like brand new in and out. Not a scratch on the plastics, rips in the leather seats, dents anywhere...until a week after I brought it home to Yuma Arizona and these people just bang their car doors into the sides of mine.

Last edited by Andreas2k10; 08-05-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Andreas<-------

The range switch is only for illumination of the light in the instrument cluster, it does NOTHING mechanical on your specific NV231 Transfer Case. First you need to make sure you are in fact in 2wd and not 4X4. One way to ensure you are not in 4X4 is to turn sharply on asphalt and see if the front end hops, if it does you are binding up and in fact you are in 4X4.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
onehuffman28
Default 2003 Dodge Durango SLT w NV244 TCCM w AWD.

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L V8 is an AWD. Never touched switch but locked into 4 High. Switch says AWD but light indicator shows 4 High. Replaced AWD switch and the transfer case module NV244, grounds were good, but still stuck in 4 High.
Is it the accuator or sensor or ? You definitely sound like the person we need to speak to! Next step?

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You got it right.

This sensor only tells the light on the dash where the selection is on the transfer case where engaged.

If the selector is manual the light is controled by the sensor as to it's position. If the selector is electric then it's the accuator.

The question here is "no response when the switch is moved" which sounds like an accuator.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

dude, use a normal font size please, also you should start your own thread to get more help

Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 AM
D0dgeDak
Default Still Lost

I have read this entire poat and still need some help. My 2001 Dakota 4WD indicator lights started blinking about 6 months ago. Read this post and had my mechanic buddy check it out with his computer. We both agreed that is was the TCCM. After getting one from a bone yard plugged it in and nothing. Went back and got a different one and still nothing. Does this have to be programmed or the fault have to be reset. I find it hard to believe that I have three of these thing that are bad.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

onehuff<-- Check the wiring and harness for corrosion. Download a service manual and start tracing.

DOdgeDak<-- Again, check the connection at the transfer case first. It is a known issue on the Durango versions that are electronically controlled it is usually a simple bad connection at the T-case. Then ensure you are getting power down there as well. Read the electrical schematics in the service manual.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
maddog75

I had a similar problem with my 01 Durango. Light was blinking on the 4WD switch and no response from switch. I also had my Service 4WD light on. Check to see if other things are working correctly. For instance, My rear wipers wouldn't work, also when I applied the emergency brake the brake light on dash did'nt come on. It ended up being the Body Control Module.
Good luck! If it is the module you will need to bring the car to the dealer because it needs to be reprogrammed.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM