1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP 98 engine misfire, cut out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
scouty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well,I just talked to my mechanic. He said that he did a flow test and OHM on the injector, and got a misfire code on cyl 5&7 he then hooked up his scan tool and took it for a drive and almost right away got a flash for cyl. 5/7. the all of the cyl. misfired. he went back to the shop hooked up another machine to do a compression test and all cyl. are 98-100%. But, did notice that the timing was 2deg off so he adjusted that. He said that wasn't what was giving me my perticular problems but adjusted it anyway. He cleaned off the battery terminals. He knows that the cam sensor goes bad in them, but thinks that this may be the coil. I am going to replace it tonight and will let you know what I find out soon.

ps- I have autolight plat. for spark plugs. I had Champion in there they only had about 15,000mi. on them at the very most. the engine is running the exact same way with the two different brand of plugs.
plugs are cheap enough to fix. why do you feel that the plugs may still be an issue? the champs. that I pulled out looked good yet and the gap was still ok.
thanks-

Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just make sure you update us... This way it helps everybody out..

Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
scouty

Well, it's not the flipn' coil. So, does any body think that maybe I should try to replace my pick up coil? or the crank senser? I will replace the plugs to champion's. with all the trouble people are having with this type of problem someone must have figured it out.
The problem mainly happens after the vehicle has been warmed up shut off then restarted. then it will "miss" taking off easy and when i am holding it at a low speed 15-40mph. it will stutter till i either let out of the throttle or stab it. if I am going down the street 55 or better it runs good. The vehicle has only stalled 1 time, and that was when I was letting it warm up in the driveway. it started to stutter then stalled. I thought that if it was the crank senser that it would be stalling more often then have problems starting.
thanks for the replies. I will take every suggestion into consideration and I WILL LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT I FIND OUT. This thing is making me gray before my time.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends if it was a soft code or a hard code.

A soft code can go out right away and is not REALLY logged into the PCM. Now on the other hand, hard codes are logged in but can reset after 12 starts and 48 miles. Depends on the problem and whats going on.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
scouty

Why do you recomend only champion plugs?? I have used autolights before (in other vehicles) and had great luck with them. I believe you, will I be ok with these plugs for a couple of days. I wont be able to change them out till plobably monday. I have autolight plats. in it now. before these I had champ's in it that I put in on the last tune up.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Sorry I didn't see that this went onto a page 2.........LOL

Ok,

Do this:

Lets start form scratch..... Stop trying to figure this out and lesson to me.
1. GET THOSE PLUGS OUT OF THERE! Yes you can change them in a day or two. Just remember that if it's running crapy then it's leaving deposits. Pull those POS and go to the store and get Champion Copper Plugs (OEM) or CHampion Truck Plugs. You could use the Champion Iridium Plugs but I would wait for now. Gap to .044
2. This motor dose not run Platinum. This motor is very picky.
3. Go to the dealer and get some spark plug wires. ONLY USE THESE FOR NOW! We can make it perform later.
4. Go to Auto Zone or where ever you like and get a cap and rotor that have brass contacts. They are a few bucks more.
5. Fuel Pressure Test. Make sure you have at least 50+ psi or replace the pump (in tank) which includes the regulator, and filter all in one unit. (just a suggestion)

Try that first. Get what I said only........

If that doesn't work,

5. Pull the Throttle Body off and clean that thing out! Pull all the sensors. Drivers side is TPS (Throttle Body Sensor) Front is the MAP sensor, and rear is the IAS sensor. You can clean the IAS carefully and all ports on the TB. Get a new gasket and reinstall the TB.

6. Buy new TPS and tune it in by the following Modification. Also a bit of other info.
Throttle Position Sensor Replacement for RPM surging and/or engine idle issues.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_53303/tm.htm
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1059612/...tm.htm#1059612

Throttle Position Sensor Modification for increased Performance.
http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TPS_Mod

7. If we get there........

Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking since this only happens after the engine has warmed up that the coolant temp sensor could be the culprit. It sounds like it may be leaning out the fuel if it is reading the temp as too hot when it is right on.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
scouty

Originally Posted by Mean Green
I am thinking since this only happens after the engine has warmed up that the coolant temp sensor could be the culprit. It sounds like it may be leaning out the fuel if it is reading the temp as too hot when it is right on.
I forgot to mention that I had my mechanic run a check on the temp sensor the entire time the engine was running while doing the fuel system cleaning. It checked out fine. on occasion is will sputter while cold (warming up in the morning). Some of the may be the TPS. I looked at the links that the other guy gave me. my D would have a throttle surge whith the cruise on. That was nice to find out. But thanks for the suggestion.
I welcome any suggestion that yall have and will take every one of them into consideration, and WILL post my findings.
I wont get to the vehicle till prolly Monday or tues as we just had about 5" of snow and the wind today is blowing like a mo fo.
I CANT WAIT TILL SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Justin_98Durango

I had this last summer on my 98, found that one of my wires was touching the manifold and it caused it to spit sputter miss and just act all crazy.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: HELP 98 engine misfire, cut out.