1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP 98 engine misfire, cut out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
scouty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 98 engine misfire, cut out.

Ok, I have a 98 durango with a 5.2L 318. I had a code that was for a cyl.5 misfire. I changed the plugs (gap to .040) wires (routed properly) cap, rotor, and had the fuell lines and injector service done. The truck still is acting up. It will act like it is starving for gas, and sometimes backfire spit and sputter. kind of acts like an EGR but the vehicle dosent have one. I also looked down the intake and it is dry, so i don't suspect that there is an intake leak.
PLEASE tell me that there is someone out there that can help me. I have read others with the same, or close to the same problem but don't post what fixed it.
ps, the truck has only stalled out twice, and seemp to do it more often after the vehicle has been warmed up although it will do it on a cold engine also. when it starts to cut out (like it is loseing fuel) I will tromp on the gas and it will take off, most of the time.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Your battery may be going bad (yes believe it or not this cold be the problem, try a known good battery and see if that helps)
2. TPS
3. PCM

basically there are a lot of things that can make that cylider miss. Leaky injector, clogged injector, bad injector coil, low compression, preignition in that cylinder, valve burnt, bad valve seat, coil, grounding or power signal from ecm to fire the cynder, bad wire from fuse to injector, pinched harness, rubbed through harness, leaking intake, blown headgasket, cracked head, and so on

Old 02-19-2009, 09:02 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

schusterjo is right
I want to say that it very well could be the wires since you have the miss fire in cylinder 5. I say that because I had the same issue with mine except I had cylinders 1, 5, 8 miss firing are any of your wires touching the engine? if so that will cause this very issue you are having.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
scouty

Originally Posted by DRO318
schusterjo is right
I want to say that it very well could be the wires since you have the miss fire in cylinder 5. I say that because I had the same issue with mine except I had cylinders 1, 5, 8 miss firing are any of your wires touching the engine? if so that will cause this very issue you are having.
Well, 2 yrs ago I did a tune up, I just put the spark wires on not knowing that it mattered on the routing. I did all mentioned above and installed the wires acording to the routing specifics. I'll have the alternator checked and the battery.
ps keep the ideas coming guys.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
scouty

Originally Posted by schusterjo
1. Your battery may be going bad (yes believe it or not this cold be the problem, try a known good battery and see if that helps)
2. TPS
3. PCM

basically there are a lot of things that can make that cylider miss. Leaky injector, clogged injector, bad injector coil, low compression, preignition in that cylinder, valve burnt, bad valve seat, coil, grounding or power signal from ecm to fire the cynder, bad wire from fuse to injector, pinched harness, rubbed through harness, leaking intake, blown headgasket, cracked head, and so on
what is a TPS? I had a mechanic in town do a fuel system cleaning. I'm going to have the injector flow tested, I don't notice any pinging sound at idle, under a load or just cruising. it dosent use any oil, no water in the oil, and nothing out the tail pipes. I don't think that it is the intake because when I looked inside I didn't see anything that would lead me to suspect that.
thanks for the input, and I'll try some of the other ideas you have.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can purchase single spark plug wires at autozone. they are cheap maybe you could try one out for your miss fire in cylinder 5.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 AM
scouty

Originally Posted by DRO318
You can purchase single spark plug wires at autozone. they are cheap maybe you could try one out for your miss fire in cylinder 5.
I only had the light come on 1 time. I went out on it's own. then I did the tune up. New wires and all. The chk. engine light has not come on yet (don't know why) but the vehicle is running the same way. I just wish the light would come back on so I can get some info.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scouty
I only had the light come on 1 time. I went out on it's own. then I did the tune up. New wires and all. The chk. engine light has not come on yet (don't know why) but the vehicle is running the same way. I just wish the light would come back on so I can get some info.
If the light came on the information still would be stored in the computer, even if the light went out on its own... You need to head on up to Autozone and have them pull the codes for you, free..

By the way TPS is for "Throttle position sensor", it is on the side of the throttle body...

Again there is many things that it could be. Need to try to pull any codes you can and start eliminating 1 by 1.

Last edited by schusterjo; 02-20-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 AM
scouty

Originally Posted by schusterjo
If the light came on the information still would be stored in the computer, even if the light went out on its own... You need to head on up to Autozone and have them pull the codes for you, free..

By the way TPS is for "Throttle position sensor", it is on the side of the throttle body...

Again there is many things that it could be. Need to try to pull any codes you can and start eliminating 1 by 1.
The code is not there anymore. I did not have it removed, and don't know where it went. the mechanic who I know ant trust cant find it. I did read that they can wipe them selves out after 25 start cycles. not real sure about that though.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you installed any other plug besides Champion Copper (OEM) Champion Truck, or Champion Iridium plugs that could do it for sure.

Quick Reply: HELP 98 engine misfire, cut out.