1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0340 & P1391 Error Codes, no start sometimes

Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
tst31
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0340 & P1391 Error Codes, no start sometimes

Well, I have a 99 5.9L Durango that has been running just fine, but the check engine light came on recently. I pulled the mentioned codes with my OBD reader, and have been looking to fix them. Just the other day, the truck would not start, just kept turning over until it seemed like the battery went dead. Well, i jumped the truck, and it seemed to run fine, but I did a load test on the battery when I got home (ok, but on the weaker side), and researched the codes again on this forum, and decided to get a new battery. Did that, cleared the codes, and all was fine, for a bit....a couple of days later, again, it didn't want to start right away, but it eventually did after about 6-8 tries. Check engine light came on again, but has been starting right away. I have checked local auto part stores for a new cam position sensor, but everybody (Kragen, Napa, AutoZone) says they don't carry it. Kragen did say they have a "pickup coil" instead, which is located in the distributor. Should I start with this sensor first, or should I do this AND the crank position sensor as well? Any additional tests I can do to pinpoint my issue, so I don't spend time and money I don't have on all these sensors? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Code P1391 Loss of crank or cam sensors,P0340 No cam signal at the pcm. I would replace the crank sensor first. Your cam sensor is part of the dist. on 5.2/5.9 engines

Old 02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
tst31
Rookie

Thanks MasterTech. According to my OBD Reader, P0340 Cam Position Sensor- A Bank 1 CKT Malfunction, and P1391 is CKP/CMP Sensor-signal loss. The truck still runs just fine, but like I said, twice now it has refused to start, just keeps on turning over, then, all of a sudden, it starts right up. I went to Kragen, and they were able to supply me with a cam position sensor (their computer refers to it as the "distributor ignition pickup", and I was gonna change it out, but, when I pulled the cam position sensor out of the distributor, it has a different electrical harness and it won't fit, so now I gotta run back and see if they have another option. If they don't I suppose I will go to the dealer. My new question then is, will a crankshaft position sensor send a P0340, cam position sensor error code? Also, when I went to move the Dodge into the garage to repair this morning, I noticed the check engine light had turned itself off as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
tst31
Rookie
Smile

Well, went back to Kragen's to exchange "camshaft position sensor", or as they refer to it, the "pick-up coil". The wrong part I had was a Niehoff AL437, for $36.99. All seemed correct, except the harness did not have the correct pins inside (scientific term, forgive me). Anyway, I exchanged it for the correct one, a Niehoff WA7562, at a cost of $58.99. I went right home, and slapped it in and everything seems to be fine. I plan to clear the error codes right away, and the check engine light had already turned itself off when I moved it to the garage for the repair, but it had been on the days prior. I took a short test drive, and no check engine light came on, and it seems to be running fine. I will drive it around now and see if the light comes back on, at which point I will assume my issue is with the crankshaft position sensor.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us informed as to how everything works out.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would have replace them both. may save any other problems down the road.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 AM
tst31
Rookie

I would have preferred to change both sensors, but, like everyone else these days, money is a bit tight, and if I don't have to change them both for now, I won't. However, I will do it in the next couple of weeks, just because it is highly suggested. In the short term, I am hoping this will be the appropriate fix. I will update this post in a few days after I have driven the truck around for a bit, and let you all know if there are any changes. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:12 AM
scouty

Originally Posted by tst31
I would have preferred to change both sensors, but, like everyone else these days, money is a bit tight, and if I don't have to change them both for now, I won't. However, I will do it in the next couple of weeks, just because it is highly suggested. In the short term, I am hoping this will be the appropriate fix. I will update this post in a few days after I have driven the truck around for a bit, and let you all know if there are any changes. Thanks again for all your help.
Yes, please keep us informed.
thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
tst31
Rookie

Well, been driving the truck around for about a week now, and all seems to be fine. No check engine light or anything. It seems that the error codes were indeed caused by a faulty cam position sensor. Very quick and easy fix once the correct part was in my hand. All I had to do was remove the distributor cap, pull of the rotor, and unplug the old sensor, and put everything back together. Takes less than 10 minutes. I plan on replacing the crankshaft sensor soon as well based upon the high recommendation of other well informed posters. Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:26 AM
beave

Man, I sure hope that fixed your problem! Why? Because I could have written your symptoms I was having with my '99 5.9. The dealership did the exact fix that you did and they said they could not find anything else wrong. I just picked it up last night so I too will be curious to see if the problem comes back.
Beave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0340 & P1391 Error Codes, no start sometimes