1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango RPMs fluctuations

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update... I hopped in my truck after worked, fired it up, and instead of idling at 500rpm like it usually does... It started jumping up and down, 500rpm > 1000rpm, 500rpm > 1000rpm, over and over.

I shut the truck off, disconnected the TPM, and now the truck is running fine.

It's throwing code P0123 - which is a TPM error code.

I suppose I won't be able to wait until next weekend?

Darn.

It's only $49CAD at the local part store. I guess I'll GIT'R'DONE tonight.

I'll report back here later.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

P0123 Throttle Pos Sens Voltage Hi
yup i would replace the tps asap

(you had me going there for a minute w/ tpm, tpm is tire pressure monitoring which wasnt offered on these trucks)

Old 06-08-2011, 01:47 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

TPS... My bad. Throttle Position Sensor... I guess I should ensure I'm using the correct acronym's.

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to install the new sensor last night, but I have just finished installing it here this morning in my parking stall at work.

It was fairly straightforward. I used the gasket seal, not the o-ring seal, and I used the new torx screws and not the old ones.

It was a super fast install - except for the part where I installed the sensor upside down the first time. I went to plug the connector back on and realized what I had done. LOL!

It would be hard to access the quick-release latch from the bottom, so I unscrewed it and put it on right-side-up.

Then I manually adjusted the throttle to make sure the sensor wasn't binding up. It all seems wonderful now. Truck fired up and idled better than it ever has.

I'll test the cruise control this afternoon - I have to drive to another county.

(Also, yes, I had the battery disconnected while performing the work, so the PCM has also been reset.)

PITA - resetting my aftermarket stereo settings though.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All TPS issues as stated.

Originally Posted by ICEMAN23
Ya i have replaced the IAC, TPS, MAP sensor, cam positioning sensor. I did a complete tune up new wires spark plugs. Whats happening is while im driving down the freeway and let off the gas the RPMs will go up about 500 and stay for about a second then suddenly drop to where they should be then go up again back and forth all by its self. Let me also say this does'nt happen all the time maybe once or twice a week. Then the other thing its doing is when i start it it will just die unless i give it alot of gas to keep it running then when it heats up it will keep its idle. Feels like the IAC motor isnt working all the time. Sorry one more thing and this seems to happen alot and that is my RPMs will stay real high like 3000 or so even if i take my foot off the gas and trying to stop is a pain. but once stopped the RPMs will slowly come down after a min or two. Im not sure what else to do i usually can figure stuff out but this has got me. What really sucks is DEQ is in a couple of months ahhhh. PLEASE HELP!
Sounds like a bad battery or alternator.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Replaced the TPS and everything is back to normal, better than normal I would say, RPM's are super consistent, cruise control works great... Also, I had some squeeking in my front end again... I thought to myself... "No way I need to grease the sway bar bushing again!"

Well... Crawled under the truck and realized that all the front end balljoints are actually aftermarket. I hooked up my father-in-law's grease gun and pumped them full of new grease - the damn truck rides like new.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango RPMs fluctuations