1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Best Fix for Rear Main Seal Leak?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
2001OffroadRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Fix for Rear Main Seal Leak?

I have a 98 Durango w/ 5.2 an it has a small rear main seal leak, doesn't leak much but enough for me to notice it on the underside of the truck. I was wondering if any of those oil additives that say they can fix it work? or if its just best to get a new seal put in?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sometimes a thicker 40 or 50 weight oil will slow a leak. but, i'm not a fan of stop leaks or additives. i don't know anything about the durangos, but if you can drop the oil pan, the 5.2 has a 2 piece seal that's easy to change. i changed my rear seal and front seal (and timing chain and water pump) and it stopped those annoying drips.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rearmain.php

Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if it were me i would look to do it correctly, but then i have never had to replace a main seal, and idk how much work it would be so wait for someone who has done it before to chime in

Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The pan just doesn't drop off. It depends on how bad the leak and what you want to do. If the motor is on it's last leg do a rebuild. It not try to tighten the oil pan.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Check the pan bolts first=rear main seals leaks pretty good with the truck running...Lucas makes a good oil leak stopper and this one by Bar's isavailable at Pep boys..

http://www.barsproducts.com/1050.htm

This stuff is made by permatex and lazy s.o.b's like me love it..here's the link for it=may seal up your leak if it's a pan gasket seep..

http://www.4x4review.com/Features/Ne...7/Default.aspx

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by DragonOfMadness

This stuff is made by permatex and lazy s.o.b's like me love it..here's the link for it=may seal up your leak if it's a pan gasket seep..
I don't like any additives period but........ That post says it all........LOL

Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 AM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Ya,your a workin man=next shot of johnnywalker gold is on me-oops bourbon drinker=gentlemen jack be too smooth guess it's maker's mark or some booker's,or a gallon of evan williams....anyhow additives are necessary=ya runnin straight castor oil in ya truck=nope they barred it for the stench=every oil has additives...

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...639C946596D6CF

Old 04-01-2009, 06:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Right,

every oil has additives but not the ones in stop leaks and cleaners and so forth. There are even TSB's about em. Even the owners manual is against em......

Theres only one way to fix a motor or what ever, but one CAN put things like that in your vehicle but you get the results of a cheap fix as well.

And damnit<----------- Stop drinkin more than me!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Trey318
Captain

My 5.2 in my truck had the same problem. Do it right: pick up a double roller tc (30.00), tc cover gasket, oil pan gasket, front and rear main seal and replace em all. Better to do it all at one time.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Ahhh ya just jealous my liver has more octane=lol---No, really I 've used oil enhancer and lubrication performance products for alot of my customers in alot of older industrial machines and they have got twice the hours out of their machines if they had not put the products in...so in closing if you hate performance additives so be it,I have tried alot of them and they do work for specific problems and people that don't have the financial resources or means to fix their problems with a total tear down and rebuild can stall the enevitable complete breakdown with certain additives..It's your right to disaggree and my right to substaniate my own opinions on the matter-in the end it is personal choice that decides and the decision falls to that person as to what is right for them..........And yeah I could drink you under the table thanks to the fact I 'd eat alot of mickey d's french fries before hand=just alil chemistry at work...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Fix for Rear Main Seal Leak?