1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango idle issue

Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New batt and it is worse? Then it is the batt. Check the connections and make sure the batt is good. New does not always mean good.

IndyD

Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Gavin McCall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no indy as i said it was much worse BEFORE the new battery now it only does it after being driven for about 2-3 miles. just for clarification i can start it go a few blocks, for instance to pick up a friend, and itl idle with my foot off the gas while i wait for them to come out. before i had to pump the gas pedal to start it and keep it idled at 1k or it would quit.

as for last time it was tuned up...i have no clue, ive had it for maby 3 months, a friend sold it to me for like 1500 bucks and i knew it needed work, she cant keep a car running for the life of her so i doubt its had anything in the 2 years shes owned it, ill have to ask.

Last edited by Gavin McCall; 04-10-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

Also, go check the air filter and see how it looks... You should at least be able to see some daylight coming through when you look through it at some lighting...

Old 04-10-2009, 05:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I smell tune up!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:25 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavin McCall
no indy as i said it was much worse BEFORE the new battery now it only does it after being driven for about 2-3 miles. just for clarification i can start it go a few blocks, for instance to pick up a friend, and itl idle with my foot off the gas while i wait for them to come out. before i had to pump the gas pedal to start it and keep it idled at 1k or it would quit.

as for last time it was tuned up...i have no clue, ive had it for maby 3 months, a friend sold it to me for like 1500 bucks and i knew it needed work, she cant keep a car running for the life of her so i doubt its had anything in the 2 years shes owned it, ill have to ask.
I'd say TPS but this is just my 2 cents. the only time I pump twice is in my old 74 with a carb

Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Gavin McCall
Talking

Alright so i got in thismorning and drove to the local coffe shop. i was waiting in the drive through and got lazy so i took my foot off the gas. and guess what...ITS FINE figuring it was a fluke i went for a bit of a drive and ran some other errands. it seems that it needed nothing but time to adjust. i am however going to do everyones suggestions just because it can use it. thanks for all the help, ill be back when i need help fixing the gass leak...these things are just one thing after another arent they.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.these things are just one thing after another arent they.
Not anymore so then any other truck.. just depends on how well it has been maintained. They all come with a maintenance schedule, 90%+ never get followed and thats not the trucks fault.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

these things are just one thing after another arent they.
Try owning an Audi!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:36 AM
Gavin McCall

Originally Posted by Neo1130
Try owning an Audi!
Ive heard some horror stories but i doubt they could be as bad as my old nightmare of a jeep grand cherokee. i couldnt keep electricity in that thing to save my life, and the gengine was two things after another. add to that that im 6'5" and mostly legs making it so i dont fit in the damn thing and psychostick's song two ton paperweight comes to mind
two ton paperweight(WARNING! EXPLICIT)

EDIT:it appears bbcode doesnt work the way it normally does but this song describes that and all of my cars so well and is just such a great song that im sure we could all relate to at some point or another that i decided to leave it

Originally Posted by schusterjo
Not anymore so then any other truck.. just depends on how well it has been maintained. They all come with a maintenance schedule, 90%+ never get followed and thats not the trucks fault.
your right and i know this thing needs some good tlc but i know people who own them and take good care of them and have constant problems and i also know people who take lousy care of them and they work great, not to mention my uncle who is BEYOND **** retentive about maintaining his vehicles has more problems than i do and has a 99 with a step bigger engine. it seems problems are lesser or worse from vehicle to vehicle in this particular model. im just glad i have one in the middle...

Last edited by Gavin McCall; 04-12-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I like to add some information that maybe coming from left field. Unplug the clocksring and ck the 60 way connector under the dash too. The clockspring shares a ground going to the TPS sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 durango idle issue