1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

BILSTEIN or MONROE??

Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Magic, seems like you have double vision on posting! haha.

Shocks are like tires, each with their own opinion. Monroe has been around forever and they make great shocks. It all boils down to brand choice based on what you apply them for. Bilsteins are great, but alot of times, it is way overkill for the average driver. It's like a vette driving in 5pm traffic on I-635 in Dallas The vette is not going to get you to your destination any faster than a Toyota Yaris. But the yaris will save you alot of money on cost and gas vs the vette.

If you are a everyday highway most of the time driver, go with Monroes. Most monroes have lifetime warranty on their shocks. Dunno about the other competitor's warranty.

So I'll be the oddball and cheer on for Monroe. BTW, I got the reflex on my R/T and they are a little firmer than sensatrac but damn, the handling is great and the ride is still comfortable for a heavy SUV.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
Hey Magic, seems like you have double vision on posting! haha.

Shocks are like tires, each with their own opinion. Monroe has been around forever and they make great shocks. It all boils down to brand choice based on what you apply them for. Bilsteins are great, but alot of times, it is way overkill for the average driver. It's like a vette driving in 5pm traffic on I-635 in Dallas The vette is not going to get you to your destination any faster than a Toyota Yaris. But the yaris will save you alot of money on cost and gas vs the vette.

If you are a everyday highway most of the time driver, go with Monroes. Most monroes have lifetime warranty on their shocks. Dunno about the other competitor's warranty.

So I'll be the oddball and cheer on for Monroe. BTW, I got the reflex on my R/T and they are a little firmer than sensatrac but damn, the handling is great and the ride is still comfortable for a heavy SUV.
Nope u would not be the odd ball.. I put in a good word for Monroes, i really doubt you could guess what shocks you had on under normal driving condition between thier better Monroe shock or Bilsteins... So, i am with ya on that.

Last edited by schusterjo; 04-19-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Hijack...

Hey Magic84, what is the yellow car in the sig? Having owned 3 yellow cars, I like it already.

IndyD

Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Hey Magic, seems like you have double vision on posting! haha."
I wanted to edit to add quotation marks, but accidentally posted again.

"Shocks are like tires, each with their own opinion. Monroe has been around forever and they make great shocks. It all boils down to brand choice based on what you apply them for. Bilsteins are great, but alot of times, it is way overkill for the average driver. It's like a vette driving in 5pm traffic on I-635 in Dallas The vette is not going to get you to your destination any faster than a Toyota Yaris. But the yaris will save you alot of money on cost and gas vs the vette."

Tommy, I like your analogy, and I can appreciate it. I spent six months in the DFW area. Motel was up near 635/Forest lane, work was in Plano and school was in Hurst.
I can very much remember sitting in traffic going to class, and it seemed like 635 was a 24 hour congestion. Brings back memories!!!! Also it is funny that you use a Vette for the comparison, last fall I got some "RIGHT SEAT" time in a 04 Z06. (You aviation people will know what right seat is!) Garden City, KS (3 hrs west of Wichita) to Indy; about 19 hours and I defintely know the difference between a sports car ride and regular ride. As far as fuel mileage goes, I was actually impressed, we were pulling about 25-28 MPG on the highway.

Local MONROE dealer even recommended against the Reflex, which I thought was odd that a dealer would recommend against a upsale but when I told him my driving conditions he recommended SENSATRACS. Basically this whole thing is being brought up, because the Bilstein sale. I hate to pass up the buy 3 get 1 free, but also at the same time I don't want to get something unnecessary.

Thanks to all for your input. I will post my results with the purchase.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Hijack...

"Hey Magic84, what is the yellow car in the sig? Having owned 3 yellow cars, I like it already."

IndyD

It is a old photo actually pre Durango. This vehicle is at the Dayton, OH James B. *** International airport. This is the SAAB Station wagon that is used for friction testing on the runways. It basically has a fifth wheel in the center of the vehicle that converts to a value and determines braking action during, snow, wet, rain, etc... Many airports have them, of course Yellow for visibility. They use this to get idea of braking action before the planes take off or land so they dont slide off the end. I figure everyone has a photo of the D, so get a change of scenery for the signature photo.

Steve

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-20-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I did some cleaning up boys........

Like everyone is saying "to each their own".

Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I did some cleaning up boys........

Like everyone is saying "to each their own".
Some said you had a tendency to sport a skirt, wield a feather duster and flaunt your feminine side. Want to clean my garage and get dirty?! LOL!!

J/K!

IndyD (nice cleaned up quotes)

Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Some said you had a tendency to sport a skirt, wield a feather duster and flaunt your feminine side. Want to clean my garage and get dirty?! LOL!!

J/K!

IndyD (nice cleaned up quotes)
Thats just sick Indy

Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

"Some said you had a tendency to sport a skirt, wield a feather duster and flaunt your feminine side. Want to clean my garage and get dirty?! LOL!!"

No what Hydra does on his own time is not for us to judge. Maybe they have a different way of doing things out in SLC. We Hoosiers, need not judge. LOL!!

Anyone heard from MeanGreen lately? he has been kind of quiet, I thought for sure he would ping in on this "shocking matter" Hydra did you block him temporarily and forget to put him back in? LOL!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Bilsteins have been ordered. Website says 3-7 business days I am not sure whether to count today since it is so late in the day but even if not then some time first part of may. $204.42 for four. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will keep you advised.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BILSTEIN or MONROE??