1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Map Sensor and PCV Valve location

Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Map Sensor and PCV Valve location

Alright, I finally bought a map sensor from Autozone for $66. Cheapest of any retail parts place. Suprised it even comes with a 2 year warranty. Part number is SU3033 if anyone is looking for a map sensor for a 2000 5.9 motor. Here are some pics of where to find the sensor as well as the pcv valve. The part is very easy to replace. The procedure is pretty much the same as replacing the throttle position sensor that is located just beside the map sensor. The part number for the PCV valve from autozone is #1274.

Map sensor location:

After you have removed the airhat from throttle body, the map sensor is located directly in front of the throttle body as seen in the pic. BTW, that pic you see is FASTMAN'S 52mm throttle body!! Also, if you noticed to the right of the map sensor, you will see the throttle position sensor. Also, more FYI, the IAC sensor is directly behind the throttle body or directly opposite direction from the map sensor.

PCV Valve location:

The PCV valve is located at the driver side of the engine towards the rear of the valve cover. When you change this, you may need to change the rubber hose it is connected to if the hose turns brittle like it did to me during this PCV changeout.

REPLACING THE MAP SENSOR:

Tools needed: #25 torx head screwdriver and 10mm deep socket/wrench to remove negative terminal on battery.

1. Use 10mm socket/wrench to remove negative side battery cable from battery (leave it off for minimum of 10 minutes to properly reset pcm)
2. Remove the airhat
3. Unplug wiring harness to the map sensor.
4. Using #25 torx driver, remove the two torx screws holding onto the map sensor.
5. Gently pull out the map sensor by pulling it towards you. (there is a tiny rubber elbow hose that connects the sensor to the throttlebody).
5. Wiggle off the rubber elbow from old sensor and install on new sensor.
6. From driver side, you can line up the rubber elbow to re-attach back to throttle body. Then gently push map sensor until it butts up against throttle body.
7. insert the two torx screws and screw them down snug tight (careful not to overtighten as you are threading into an aluminum throttle body)
8. Reconnect the wiring harness.
9. put airhat back on top.
10 If more than 10 minutes passed since you started this project, reconnect negative cable to battery.

This process for a first timer like me, took about 15 minutes.

Please excuse me for the oily spots on my engine. Valve covers leaking and currently getting this fixed. I cannot stand any oily spots much less any dirty spots on my sparkling clean 5.9!

Attached Thumbnails Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-img_0680-sm.jpg   Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-img_0679-sm.jpg   Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-img_0681-sm.jpg   Map Sensor and PCV Valve location-img_0682-sm.jpg  

Last edited by Kensai; 05-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (11-21-2021)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

That is one amazingly clean TB!

IndyD

Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Kensai
Champion

Thanks indy, this throttle body only has about 5k miles driven on it. I wanted to take a pic of the inside of the manfold to show how sparkling clean it is inside too! Very very miminal oil residue inside. My original TB was just as clean as this one. I keep this Durango extremely well maintained by following a severe duty service schedule.

I guess I am too **** when it comes to keeping my ride clean!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice write up!!!!!!!

How do you keep your motor clean?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PCV valve is located on the passenger side?! Hmmm....

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Kensai
Champion

I keep my motor clean by washing it every 3 months or wash it if I get my engine gets dirty from playing around. When i wash the truck, I also give it a good underbody washing as best as I can. I keep the engine and other areas clean so I can monitor for seals to be worn out soon such as my driver side valve cover just started leaking couple weeks ago. I simply cannot stand to see a dirty engine!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Kensai
Champion

Originally Posted by Neo1130
My PCV valve is located on the passenger side?! Hmmm....
Okay, I am totally lost here! I just got off the phone arguing with the Dodge parts guy about the pcv valve location on the 2000 5.9 motor. I found out the hose that connects the pcv valve to the intake manifold is strictly dealer item only as napa/autozone does not carry this hose. He says the pcv valve is on passenger side, but I say it is on drivers side. As you can see in my pic and part replacement. he claims the driver side is just a breather element????? Heck, I went back to my truck and pulled the passenger side which initially I thought was pcv valve but looks like a straight thru plastic elbow(it does resemble a pcv valve). I will be heading to Dodge parts counter tommorrow morning to pick up both PCV hoses for passenger and driver side and told the parts guy to get me the supposively pcv valve for passenger side.

Now I wonder, as I am the second owner of this truck, I wonder if some idiot that worked on this truck may have reversed the pcv valve and the breather valve???? My lunch break is about to start so I will head down to the parking garage and pop open the hood and look one more time.

I will call back and talk to the service guy instead to get a more accurate answer on pcv valve location.

So just curious, for you 5.9 owners, where is your PCV valve located?

Last edited by Kensai; 05-29-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM
AdAmT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 5.2 but my PCV valve is on the passenger side as well. The driver side is the crankcase breather.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM
fastyz400
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 5.9L. My pvc is on the driver side as well. I believe it's in the correct location. Because, look at the intake hat, the breather goes right to it on the passenger side.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Kensai
Champion

So someone answer this question, if the pcv valve was in the wrong location such as in my case, what problems would occur?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Map Sensor and PCV Valve location