1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L, and 4.7L Custom Ram Air - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L, and 4.7L Custom Ram Air - DIY

After going through the links I have found a lot of pictures and stuff removed so I wanted to clear up the issues. I decided to complete it again:

I went to Lowe's hardware store and looked in the plumbing isle and bought this:

1................4" X 15" Corrugated Flex Connector.
1................1" #10 Black Screw
1................Black Zip Tie

The company name is under www.clevelandtubing.com and could be any flexible connector or flexible elbow for HDPE corrugated drain pipe and schedule 40 that can extend at least 15 inches long and it needs to be 4 inches in diameter. Here is one thats a little longer that should work. http://www.flex-drain.com/flex_drain_products.htm

Here is the one I used that was $4 bucks:

Name:  100_2838.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  147.3 KB

Open the hood, now on the passenger side front clip there is a rubber splash guard that goes between the head light and the radiator. This is where you will be cutting you hole for the Custom Ram Air CIA. On the OEM air box there is the intake tube that curves into the inside passenger reverse side of the head lamp. Take this pipe out by unscrewing the top bolt/screw just below top of the fender then slide it out off the OEM air box. Now use the flexible tube to go between the OEM air box to the front clip rubber guard area and cut the hole to allow the tube to protrude into the rubber splash guard.

I then put 1 screw through the top of the connector and through the OEM air box sleeve to keep them together. I then punched a little hole in the front end of the intake and secured it to the A/C line directly in front of the new intake.You can see it in the photos:

Name:  100_2841.jpg
Views: 2570
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  100_2842.jpg
Views: 2421
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  100_2840.jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  100_2839.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  110.7 KB

Now the air will come from the outside instead of the the hot air under the hood in the engine bay. This is the coldest air you can get without a inter-cooler. Also when this is installed it's better than one of those $250 Ebay CIA's and for a couple of bucks whey wouldn't you do it.......LOL

Now you need to get a K&N filter to make this work to it's full potential or any kind of high flow oil coated air filter. Each to their own. You want oil because if you use paper then if any water or snow gets in there it will turn it into mush and something could go into your motor ruining it or plugging the system. The oil coated filter allows the water to drip off and go to the bottom of the OEM air box where there is weep hole designed to allow the water to escape.

Name:  100_2844.jpg
Views: 4170
Size:  143.6 KB

As you can see the rest is the OEM air box to the air hat and Throttle Body.

Now I live in Utah and have harsh winters and summers and wheeling and driven in it all and haven't had a problem yet .....Crossing Fingers.....LOL Now the filter will need to be cleaned more often because you are exposing it to the elements but keep an eye on it between oil changes as usual. I always keep a extra filter on hand just in case but I've never had to use it and if I did the new Ram Air Intake Tube can be removed in a heart beat even on the side of the road!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 07-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Can anyone show some pictures and explain how to install in the tight areas on the 4.7L?????

I would like to keep this thread small an lets keep it easy!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't get that pipe past the TCM on the 4.7s in that area.

I think the best way really is to use a wedge ended scoop and mount it slightly under the front fascia. Works for 4.7s or 5.9s. The perfect, clean solution already exists in the Banks Super-Scoop: http://bankspower.com/products/show/271/2

Then, once installed, take the pipe end up to a hole you cut in the sheet metal directly under the old box. Shorten the Super-Scoop slightly to fit the correct height. Then cut a corresponding hole to the bottom side of the air box. Voila, no restrictions, cold air, a super show-clean install and perfectly effective.

Otherwise, you need a tiny pipe to get in there and around the TCM and you are not really getting much. The air is going to collide in the narrowing area and in reality not flow much at all.

Who's in on their 4.7 ? Your welcome

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 07-15-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indy, so you're saying mine suck azz???
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...console-2.html

Old 07-15-2009, 01:05 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Did I say sucks azz? I said in reality it is not going to flow much at all.

Think about it logically for a second. Do you want any small vagina-like opening to be able to take a 5" circle size volume of anything... air or otherwise?

That tiny thing is going to flow tiny results. It may be large on both sides but tiny where it counts. Is something better than nothing? Yes of course. Was the price and effort right? Yes. Is there something else? Yes. All kinds of something else's from ram air hoods to Volant ice boxes, to K&N half boxes to the Super Scoops.

Yours works, it just works a little bit. That's all.

Volant has a entire series of scoops just like the Banks one. 5.Xs here: http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=527 and the 4.7s here: http://volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=482

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 07-15-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Ya know... that's true. I'm gonna see if I can reroute the intake.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Also you look into moving modules or something? Please post pictures of the results and such!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

If I move the module, would I hurt thr system? And just what kind of module is that???

Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

You can move it with ease if the cables reach elsewhere.

That's the TCM, Transmission Control Module. 4.7s and 5.7s and 6.1s are electronically controlled. 5.2 and 5.9s are mechanical and don't have that module.

IndyD

Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Facory
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This route could be prone to drawing in water during heavy rain or trailing traffic kicking up a fine spray. I routed mine into the right wheel well area and pointed the intake downward. No chance of injesting water into the system. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: 5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L, and 4.7L Custom Ram Air - DIY