1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Sputtering and Bogging???? Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
durangoSLTV8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering and Bogging???? Help

I was stopped at a stop sign and when I went to go my rig started sputtering and bogging...No lights in the dash. I made it home after having to stop several times.

I took all the plugs off the sensors around the air hat and cleaned them, put them back on and voila, I have a Check Engine Light, the code was P0123 or TPS. I have read a few posts where this is the issue. I'm not sure which sensor it is? Where it is located? and how to change it...

Any help would be great....as I'm going to parts the parts store ($47.49 plus tax) to pick it up and install (hopefully) in the AM...

Thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What size motor?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 PM
durangoSLTV8

5.9L but here's what I have done! swapped out the TPS, rough idle gone! took it for a drive, got code P0132 for O2 sensor, continued bogging and almost stalled...

I disconnected both leads from the battery pulled all plugs from PCM, removed and cleaned IAC (it was really dirty). Connected everything, cleared the codes and have put 40 miles...Fingers crossed no bogging, no CEL...

Any thoughts???

Old 08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You should totaly remove tb TB and clean it.

It could take up to 300 miles to fully reset the PCM. Second you did not reset the PCM the correct way. Look at these instructions and do them everytime you play with the way the motor runs and it's output. Engine Code Index (Check Engine Light?)

Also you should tune you new TPS by following the instructions located in here: Do It Yourself (top questions and answers) FAQ's

And remember to fully reset the PCM the correct way. It can take up to 300 miles to fully reset but usually finalizes in 48 miles and 12 cold starts.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker

It could take up to 300 miles to fully reset the PCM. Second you did not reset the PCM the correct way. Look at these instructions and do them everytime you play with the way the motor runs and it's output. Engine Code Index (Check Engine Light?)

Also you should tune you new TPS by following the instructions located in here: Do It Yourself (top questions and answers) FAQ's

And remember to fully reset the PCM the correct way. It can take up to 300 miles to fully reset but usually finalizes in 48 miles and 12 cold starts.
X2............

Old 08-10-2009, 04:01 PM
durangoSLTV8

Originally Posted by hydrashocker

I read these posts and could find anywhere how to properly reset my PCM? Only how to clear engine codes... did I miss it somewhere?

My rig worked great since my last, I went away lots of highway driving approx. 650 miles. The next day I drove less than 1 mile and the sputtering and bogging was back...really getting frustrated. to date I have replaced TPS and IAC.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes you missed it right up front:

To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).

Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 PM
durangoSLTV8

ok, I wasn't sure that resetting the CEL or engine codes was the same as the PCM.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

All of the above!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
durangoSLTV8

ok, so here I sit with bum rig in the driveway!!!! followed your direction to reset CEL and PCM went for a drive and my issues return...Hesitation, Bogging and erratic RPM. As per the above I have changed the TPS and IAC cleaned the throttle body and now I get P0132 upstream O2 sensor voltage exceeded. My original code was TPS voltage exceeded? Not sure what to try next...

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Sputtering and Bogging???? Help