1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

my cooling fan will not shut off

Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM
j00durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my cooling fan will not shut off

i have searched and cant find any info. if i over looked i apologize

i have a 00 durango with the 4.7 its been running fine..but today my wife calls and says that there is a fan in the front that will not turn off. im guessing its the cooling fan. does anybody know what the problem could be? or where i can look to find info solving this problem?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:51 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Failed relay. Pull the proper relay and replace. I had this occur once and had the dealer do it under warranty.

IndyDurango

Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 AM
j00durango

cool, ill do that . also i noticed a little play in the fan. i took my durango to auto zone one guy looked and and said it was the fan clutch,another guy looked and said it was the water pump. i really cant tell because right now i have a broken hand.and cant do much.. can you help me on this one?

thank you.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Move the clutch and see if you can see where the play is. Also look at where the shaft comes out of the water pump. There is a weep hole at the bottom that when the water pump is on the way out it tends to leak a little out of. This means the shaft seal is starting to leak mostly caused by a bearing going out causing partials to rip the seal up. If you don't see any real play in the shaft then just replace the clutch. Now understand that metal does flex a little but excessive is what we're looking for.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 AM
j00durango

i looked and there is no leaking. it looks like the play is at the fan clutch. there isn't a lot of play but there is some.( when i say play im talking about when i move it towards the front of the truck and back to the firewall).. i have had many cars and have done a lot of my own work. but after reading/hearing all of the horror stories about durangos. im a little worried.lol

Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a failing fan clutch, this would explain why your electric fan never turns off. Your E-fan is now working full time to try to keep your durango from overheating. Address the fan clutch issue first. One way to know if the relay failed or stuck in "ON" mode, start the durango when it is cold. If the E-Fan comes on right away, then address the relay issue. If not, then the E-fan should be okay.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by j00durango
i have had many cars and have done a lot of my own work. but after reading/hearing all of the horror stories about durangos. im a little worried.lol
The horror stories about the Durango?????????

Just like any car of truck out there "if you take care of it they will take care of you". Just replace the fan clutch and do your regular maintenance.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 08-10-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Blake Steven Griffin

I think it is on the wires. Just check the connections on your Electric Cooling Fan so that you can determine the real problem. Or you can ask for the assistance of a local mechanic to help you out.

Last edited by Blake Steven Griffin; 10-20-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how did it go, j00?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The Jeeps have a same type of problem with the fans, ck the fuses in the PDC. What happens only on the 4.7L motors starts to blow a fuse the engine will not crank and the fan stays on. ck your fuses and then ck the relays like indydurango had said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my cooling fan will not shut off