Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the 2 wheel abs system is rear only (supposedly) so you would therefor only have 1 wheel abs if you had that system according to that description, correct?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I talked to my transmission builder (and he is freaking GREAT at it) he stated there was ABS interfaced with the sensors to the front (some how) in the trans or transfer. It would make perfect sense however I have not confirmed that.

However, how would it know to engage if the rear wheels were locked and that was the only sensor?

There would HAVE to be SOMETHING for the front that tells the ABS module to engage because the rear was locked and there was a differentiated load.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea how it works because it just makes no sense that RAWL brakes could engage EVER unless it had a counter read from some place else or some thing.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-24-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i would think (i could be mistaken here) that it would compare the reading from the output speed sensor on the transmission (measure if the output shaft is turning) to the reading from the rear wheel speed sensor, and if that is not moving then it engages the abs, im just speculating here but it makes some sense to me that way

Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the little people they have behind the dash!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i would think (i could be mistaken here) that it would compare the reading from the output speed sensor on the transmission (measure if the output shaft is turning) to the reading from the rear wheel speed sensor, and if that is not moving then it engages the abs, im just speculating here but it makes some sense to me that way
I think that's it but I am still unsure?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM
NikolaTesla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You should have a start up diagnostic (ABS light on) when it starts and should go off after a few seconds. If you do not have this you should replace your module with a 4 wheel ABS module. It is a small box by the master cylinder that simply plugs in to a electrical harness.

There are 2 different systems,

1. 2 wheel ABS
2. 4 wheel ABS (which is actually 3 wheel) and this is what you have (as you said it) if you have ABS sensors on the front wheel bearings.
Yes, when I first start the car all the diagnostic lights light up including the ABS and Brake, which go out after a couple seconds along with the other lights.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Replace the rear axle speed/ABS sensor: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ensor-diy.html

Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM
NikolaTesla

Ok, I will give it a shot, the replacement will be easy and the sensor will be cheaper than getting the ABS Control Module looked at. Just need the time to do it, got a busy work schedule coming up the next couple weeks, probably get to it around Thanksgiving week. Will post results afterwards...

Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 AM
energumeno
Amateur

Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
Ok, I will give it a shot, the replacement will be easy and the sensor will be cheaper than getting the ABS Control Module looked at. Just need the time to do it, got a busy work schedule coming up the next couple weeks, probably get to it around Thanksgiving week. Will post results afterwards...
Did changing the sensor cured the problem?

i experienced the same issue today. brake and abs lights turn on at startup and after a short time go off. But while driving both lights go on and stay lit until i turned off the truck.

This haven't happened before and today the problem appeared when i had the truck on 4 wheel drive (horrible weather here) wonder if 4wd on has anything to do with the lights turning on...

Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

4wd has nothing to do with it, but check your brake fluid level, my dads old truck would set the lights off sometimes and that is what it ended up being, low fluid

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!