Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 AM
energumeno
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK HMMWV
Hi Guys new to the forum.
I tried to read everything that has been asked allready before I posted but so far no help with my problems.

I have several issues but I'll try and keep this post ABS related.
I have a 1999 Durango SLT 4X4 with the 5.9 V8 4 wheel ABS (or 3) from what I can tell. I have wheel speed sensors on front wheels and a sensor in the rear diff.
Problem:
ABS light on, Brake light on, no problem with speedo.

I tried checking the front sensors with a DVM first.
Pass showed 1k ohms
Drivers showed open. I pulled drivers side and noticed it was very dirty. After cleaning it I decided to just check it with the DVM and it showed 1k ohms( actually around 998 or so) so I stuck it back in. I then decided to check the rear sensor in the top of the diff. It showed open. I bought a new one ,brought it home and checked it with the DVM before I installed it and it showed open. WTH, is it bad? I but it in any way.
I tried the reset. Negative terminal off, key on, brakes held to the floor for 15 or so seconds. Hooked up battery started car lights still on, so I took it for a little spin on the freeway and some surface streets. Lights still on.
Do I need to reset it by way of the diagnostic reader or something?

I have issues with the cruse control as well but will try and post in a different thread unless you think it's related.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for your time
George
i think cruise ctl is related, when i had this problem my speedo was working ok at all speeds and the cruise was not working. It ended up being the brake switch on the back of the brake pedal

Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM
BLK HMMWV

Thanks guys for all the ideas.
I'll check them out and report back.
She just left with the thing for most of the day so I won't be able to check them
until she returns . Are these switches Normally open or Normally closed when checked with a DVM ?
I'm guessing they would be N.O..

What do you think about the new rear speed sensor I bought.
It showed open right out of the box , not 2k ohms like others have suggested.
It was made by a company called Standard Motor Products.
Part# was ALS203 there is also this # on the box M11004

Once again thanks for taking the time to try and help me out.
BH

Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM
gusheidisky

A faulty switch on the brake pedal might affect cruise control, but it won't cause the brake and abs warning lamps on the dash to come on. I would tackle this one after solving the ABS problem.

ABS sensors on the front hubs and rear diff should not read open. The new one was probably bad out of the box. Off-brand parts are not always a bargain when it takes multiple trips to the store to get a good one.

A dirty sensor will not affect the internal resistance, although it might cause a sensitivity problem if the crud is metallic.

If a sensor reads open and 1K ohm at different times, chances are it's failing. Make sure the probes on the tester make good contact with the leads to the sensor.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

For the record, Standard Motor Parts is not off brand by any means. It's what most of my engine parts when I did a re-do of all sensors and everything are made by Standard Motor Parts which is the main brand Summit Racing Equipment stocks.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM
ildar
Amateur

Hi!
My problem!
Lamp ABS and Brake, but shines not at once, at times 15 minutes aren't present light, and sometimes in 1 minutes lamp light on.
ABS can work some times while there is no signal, speed shows correctly.
Esteemed a theme and hasn't understood where to search for the answer?
To buy the new sensor (who now part?) or to look contact at pedals?
If to look that where exactly?
The parking brake badly works for me, after pressing hasn't returned back.
I pull its hand.
It can cause?

Dodge durango 4wd 99

Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM
BLK HMMWV
Default Rear speed sensor

Hi Guys
I'm back at it.
I just had a thought. Should the rear diff. speed sensor still read 2k ohms no matter if it's mounted in place or right out of the box at the parts counter.
The reason I'm asking is I pulled the thing out again and took it to the parts house. They had two in stock (standard part #ALS203) both read open. I went to another parts house and they had a different. manufacturer but it read open as well. So I was wondering if it had to be mounted in place in order to take my ohm reading.
I checked the sensor on the trans output shaft while I was under there and it was around 680 ohms.
Still scratching my head.
Thanks for your input.
George

Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 AM
BLK HMMWV
Default ABS/ BRAKE light issue in a 99 Durango 4X4 with 5.9

More questions. Regarding the ABS and Brake lights
I replaced the brake pedal switch while I was at it and topped off the brake fluid (It wasn't much below the full mark).
This morning on start up all the lights went out even the ABS and Brake light.
They stayed off backing down the driveway and driving down the street. Then a few minutes later they came on.
Ideas???

Also still no cruise control .
The light comes on for a second then shuts off by itself. then it won't come back on unless I shut off the car and restart it and then it only blinks on for a second.
Ideas??

Still wondering about the sensor in the rear diff.
I can't believe that I went to two stores and checked 3 new sensors from 2 seperate manufacturers and they all read open. I was using a FLUKE
DVM ( I know bring on the Must just be a Fluke jokes)
And before anyone asks yes I know how to use it it was set on the ohms setting and i made sure it was working.
Thoughts??? Ideas????

Thanks
GW

Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

did you try the output speed sensor on the transmission? its on the driverside of the transmission tailshaft and is also known to cause the same problems as the rear wheel sensor. This sensor is cheaper, and when i had the problem with it on my old truck the lights wouldnt come on till it shifted out of 1st gear.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if it reads open all the time unless metal is under it and closes the switch. I couldn't find a ohm reading for good or bad switches, but what you describe it sounds like the rear switch. You might have to brake down and take it to a shop to have the ABS system read?

Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
BLK HMMWV

Thanks guys.
I did check the output sensors with a DVM and it read what the others have said it should so I left it alone.
I did put the rear sensor back in place and bolted it in and checked it with a DVM still shows open .
I might go buy another sensor .
I did notice allot of stuff stuck to it when I pulled it out. (metal shavings)

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!