See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:11 PM
oldbug59
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS,Brake Light, No Speedo

My 2000 Durango has a an ABS and Brake light on. The ABS module is cycling with or without the key in the on position. If I remove the large plug it stops.My speedometer does not work at any speed. I've read in most of the posts on this subject that changing the rear ABS sensor fixes the light issue and the speedometer. I have not seen anything mentioned about the ABS Module cycling in that fix. Is that a separate issue or will the Rear sensor fix it?
Thanks

Old 12-11-2015, 07:44 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the abs module that you are unpluggins is linked to the 'brain ' of the system iirc, removing it stops the signals from reaching the speedo, repair or replace that module.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Gene_Durango
Default Brake and ABS light on all the time - no Speedo issue - confirmed fix

1998 Dodge Durango 5.2L SLT 4WD. Like some here I had the same issue. ABS and BRAKE lights on all the time. I have never had a problem with the speedometer. It has always worked fine. Based on a Youtube video I finally decided to get under the car and check the abs sensor on the rear differential. I confirmed that the impedance on the sensor was too high and that it was faulty. Removing the sensor is not all that easy. It is a tight fit into the housing even though you only have to remove 1 nut and a screw stud that mounts the sensor tot he differential you have to work at it to get the sensor out of the differential. After working at it for 5 minutes being careful not to break anything that might fall into the differential I got it loose. I replaced the sensor with Dorman PN 970-024 which I purchased from AdvanceAuto for about $37. The new sensor came with a new metal bracket and a pigtail electrical connector to fit the connection on my vehicle. After lubing the o-ring and installing it the ABS and BRAKE lights have now gone off. Total time for the job was only about 15 minutes once I had the right part. The description on replacement of the sensor is this thread is very adequate to get the job done. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:35 PM
Tony Trimble
Question ABS and Brake light.& other issues.

OK, I have looked for anyone that has an answer for this and no luck. When you start my 99 Durango, the ABS LIght and the Brake light come on, then the speedometer will fluctuate between 0 - 50 MPH even though I am siting still. If it goes past 50mph the check engine light will come on. If that happens, it will not shift gears and I have to pull over and reset the codes for it to run again. The code says it is the input sensor but, I have replaced both sensors. Here is another thing, if I start the truck and the lights do not come on, the brake feels funny, like something is in the way or its to tight. Then later,while driving, the lights will come on, the brakes are fine but the speedometer flips out...any ideas? Right now I am using an app on my phone to tell what speed I am going.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:52 PM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tst31
I had the same Durango, 5.9L, 4WD, with the same problem, as well as a lack of speedo below 20 mph. I had to change the rear wheel speed sensor (screws right in towards the top of the rear differential.) Took about fifteen minutes with an open end wrench, not difficult at all. This took care of the ABS and brake light problem. However, this does not get rid of the error code that is logged into your computer. Disconnecting the battery does not clear the errror code either. The only way to get rid of the code is to plug in a DRB reader, just under the dash area, to the left. This takes about five minutes, and a repair shop did it for me free of charge. It is up to you whether or not you can score the same deal. Anyway, there are several other threads in this forum that show usually it is a problem with the speed sensors that give you the warning lights. More often than not, a rear wheel speed sensor is the culprit, although rarely it is also caused by an output shaft sensor (found on the transmission, again 15 min. fix, a bit messier) and the front wheel speed sensor (found near the steering nuckle on each front wheel). The rear sensor is probably your best bet, and can usually be found at Autozone in stock for about 24-30 dollars, Kragen for a little less, but they usually need to order. Try one of those first, unless you want OEM, which runs about 48-56 dollars. I'm just a garage mechanic, but I did alot of research because I was in the same boat as you, and didn't want to pay anybody alot of coin to do something I was capable of. Good luck, hopefully this will help you.
I bought this code scanner at Walmart. It will let you clear codes. Not sure though if it will work for your situation. It was only $20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...r-Red/54620271

Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Trimble
OK, I have looked for anyone that has an answer for this and no luck. When you start my 99 Durango, the ABS LIght and the Brake light come on, then the speedometer will fluctuate between 0 - 50 MPH even though I am siting still. If it goes past 50mph the check engine light will come on. If that happens, it will not shift gears and I have to pull over and reset the codes for it to run again. The code says it is the input sensor but, I have replaced both sensors. Here is another thing, if I start the truck and the lights do not come on, the brake feels funny, like something is in the way or its to tight. Then later,while driving, the lights will come on, the brakes are fine but the speedometer flips out...any ideas? Right now I am using an app on my phone to tell what speed I am going.
You have a wiring issue with one of your speed sensors. Likely the one on the rear diff, that the PCM uses for the speedo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!