See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:27 PM
JohnO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

I know this is an old thread but I just had my Brake and ABS light come on last week. Sounds like an easy fix so thanks for all the info. Question though: My speedometer also stopped working - it just sits on zero no matter how fast or slow I am driving. Then yesterday I realized that my odometer is frozen. Is this all part of the same issue?

Old 09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
treerocket

i put a new brake light switch on mine-$15.00
done!

Old 09-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember for those that may not have done it yet, change out your differential fluids every 60-70k. I changed my fluids out after I had the rear output sensor replaced. Fluid was in bad shape at 62k miles. black. supposed to be dark pinkish. Problems with my Durango is when I put it in WOT mode. tranny slips between 2nd and 3rd gear and redlines my engine! really scary. Ever since the rear sensor change out, no more problems. So sometimes you will not get any errors and still experience problems.

If you change out your rear axle sensor, go ahead and change out the transmission sensor as this sensor causes performance issues such as driving your durango and feeling like you are pulling a trailer, etc.....

Old 09-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Fun4me

I have (now had) the same problem in my '98 5.2L 4x4 Durango- my Brake and ABS light stay on and the speedo doesn't work. After checking the local auto part stores and not having any luck getting the sensor. I had to go to the Dealer. The first part he sold me p/n 56028187AE didn't work because the terminal was on the wrong side. Took it back and he exchanged it with p/n 05014787AA. Same price $35.50 plus tax. It was the same part with a new metal bracket and a wire jumper that extends the cable to reach the connection now that it is on the other side of the sensor. Put it in, lights are now off and the speedo works. I didn't have to reset anything. Thanks for the info!!!! Jim

Old 10-11-2005, 06:34 PM
sorny

I'm having the same problem almost in my 99 SLT 4x4 5.2L Durango. The only difference is I DON'T have my ABS light come on, just my BRAKE light. My speedo doesn't work until about 25-30mph and my transmission will sometimes shift kinda sloppy between 1st and 2nd if the speedometer isn't reading. That might be a seperate problem, but I thought maybe since it's all computer controlled anymore, reading 0mph and trying to shift into 2nd might make it act funny. Anyways, since I just have the BRAKE light and not the ABS light, could it still be this same speed sensor on the rear diff?

Old 10-28-2005, 02:22 AM
mo

I had the same problem - BRAKE and ABS lights on at the same time and remain on. I drive a 1999 Durango SLT. I read on another forum that the sensors can be electrically checked using a DMM. But the post gave no other info.

I am not inclined to spend my cash and time shotgunning the problem by randomly replacing parts so I got out my DMM. Here is what I learned: The working rear ABS sensor (located on top of the differential) reads 2K ohms. The front ABS sensors (with connectors handily located just inside the hood above the wheel well) read 1K ohms. This was very helpfull because my diver's side reads fine (1Kohm) but the passenger side was open (no resistance).

I verified the defective sensor with a 1Kohm resistor and put it across the connector leading to the the computer to simulate the sensor at stop. Then I turned on the ignition and guess what - The lights are not on anymore.

So, now that I know that the passenger side sensor is open I get the right part, replace it, and my problem is fixed.

If you have a simple DMM or ohmmeter, you should check the resistance of the sensors - it might save you a lot of time and trips to the parts store. You might also want to start with the front sensors first because these sensors are easily accessed. The rear is a real pain in the a**.

Changing the sensor itself is quite an expereince - does anyone have any tips for making it easier?

Old 10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
mtndewnut
Rookie

I had the same problem.....Here is what you are looking at:

The part:

The location:

The tools I used:

Old 11-18-2005, 02:18 AM
tudb

Just wanted to thank eveyone for the advice and saving me some dinero. My 99 Dakota Sport had many of the same symptons (ABS light, BRAKE light, no speedo below 30mph). One additional quirk was that the truck consistently stalled while slowing to a stop. I have a manual trans so I've been using some unorthodox footwork to navigate stop lights for the last two weeks.

I bought mopar P/N 56028187AE for around $50, installed the sucka last night, and all is good. The only hitch I ran into was breaking off the top half of the old sensor while removing. Luckily, it snapped above the o-ring and didn't fall into the differential. I was able to pry the bottom half out with the help of a few choice words my old man taught me.

Thanks again.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:00 AM
EricStratton

This thread just isn't going to die, sorry.

I had the same problem everyone else was facing - ABS and brake lights on, speedometer not working below ~40MPH. I found this thread and replaced my rear speed sensor. Problem fixed...sorta. Now, every other time (or so) I start the car the ABS and brake lights come on. Speedometer's working correctly constantly now, tho, which is nice.

If no one has seen this exact problem, I'll just go ahead and replace the two front sensors and see how it goes. If someone has seen this intermittent ABS/brake light issue, I'd love to hear how you resolved it.

Thanks.

'99 Durago V8 5.2L, 91K miles

ES

Old 12-03-2005, 04:21 AM
TexasOrBust

hey guys,
great site! i'm on here currently in regards to my stepdad's 99 Durango. like everyone else in this thread, his ABS and Brake lights remain on when driving. HOWEVER, his only difference is he has no speedo issues/problems whatsoever. that is my only concern instead of just buying those rear speed sensors because i'm not sure if it is a separate issue or sensor. any ideas what would cause the abs/ebrake light to stay on (his car brakes fine) but no speedometer problems?

he has had this problem for >6 months and the dealer told him he'd need to replace that rear module and the cost with labor would be over $1k...but since his truck has high mileage and is braking and working just fine for him, he'd rather not bend over and shell out that much, especially if it's just a cheap sensor like you guys say in this thread! any help is greatly appreciated!!

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!