See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 AM
hdskipper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Same problem. ABS light and Brake warning light.Had no problem with speedometer.

Used ohm meter to read the 3 sensors. Fronts read around 1k, the differential read open.

Bottom line: Car Quest had the rear sensor for less than $27. Auto Zone and Advanced had to special order, Over $40 for each.

The Car Questpart boxhad a genuine Mopar sensor inside.

Yes the connector was turned 90% from the original but a connector pigtail is included for the extra needed length. Make sure you get this sensor fully seated on the first go! Otherwise the control reads a sensor is present and won't show a fault at startup but won't "read" the teeth"so when you touch the brakes the first time after getting up enough speed to the enable the ABS, it will think the rear wheels are locked and start the abs pump to modulate the rear brake hydraulic pressure.

The following users liked this post:
wade hill (03-21-2021)
Old 01-29-2007, 04:19 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i have a similar problem, my 1998 dakota sport V6 2wd wont shift out of first until the RPMs hit almost 3000, and check engine light comes on when it does finally shift, i read a couple of these threads and that cleaning the Rear wheel speed sensor could sometimes fix this problem. My speedometer works fine, and none of my brake lights come on, just the check engine light, i have a device to read the computer codes and it is an output speed sensor circuit malfunction which led me to the rear wheel speed sensor. Is this speed sensor the same as the rear wheel speed sensor in the 2003 dakota quad cab, V6 4wd??? that i could try switching them to see if that fixes the problem??? if anyone could let me know as soon as possible im going to check and try it this weekend will post results if i get any.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
quinn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2000 Durango (abs and brake lights). The new sensor from Dodge ($40) did the trick. Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM
shnormo
Veteran

ORIGINAL: rockadaous

you can also go to autozone. they can clear the codes for free
Too bad the ABS computer isn't hooked up to your OBDII connector. So you can use that scanner all you want and it won't tell you the code.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
stevens_r_a

Just fixed the same problem on my '98 Durango. Thanks to all who posted solutions. On mine the speedometer quit working at all and the ABS and BRAKE warning lights came on. After driving a while that way, the CHECK ENGINE light also came on. I picked up a differential speed senser from Checker for $26 (matching the price I found on partsamerica.com) and installed it. The speedometer worked again and the ABS and BRAKE lights went off. The CHECK ENGINE light went off after a few short trips.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:07 PM
chilli99slt

Hey therre.
Brand new to the forum.
I have the brake/ABS light problem with my 99 5.2 SLT+.
But my lights dont come on until highway speeds. Speedo works fine. Brakes work fine. Lights come on anyway at about 110kmph.
I've changed all the sensors and it still comes on. I think I got used to it but still would like a fix for it.\
Any opinions?
I've had it scanned and cleared as well from a dealer.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 PM
dlowman

Is this the same part for Automatics 98 dakotas as well as manuals? I tried to get it at the parts store today and the computer said it was only for the manual

Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
toyconvert

I wish to thank all in this forum for the help in resolving an issue with the ABS/Brake lights issue.
It took about 30 minutes for the actual change-out of the differential speed sensor.
I never took it to the shop - just did all my troubleshooting right here. The part was >$25 including postage.
When I started, I had no idea as to where to begin. Thanks again - everyone. [sm=smiley31.gif]

Old 08-19-2007, 08:54 PM
davdebj

I found the post by hdskipper on 1/9/2007 especially useful. I checked the resistance of the 2 front sensor (easily accessible) and found both to be around 1-1.1 kohm. Then checked the rear differential sensor.... and found it to be open (no resistance). Bought the replacement from Carquest....$27 before tax. Installed in about an hour (not as good as some here who only took 30 minutes). Turned car on and brake light and abs light no longer on.

From reading posts, I thought I would find one of the front sensor bad because I didn't have any issues with the speedometer which seems tobe related to the rear sensor being bad. I only had the abs light and brake light on and no problems with speedometer.... but it turned out to be rear sensor.

The carquest part was the OE part and came with a one page instruction sheet explaining the reason for the 90 degree orientationand extra pigtail cable.

The bad sensor had been demolished.The new, good, rear sensor measures about 1.8 kohm resistance across the pins. The embedded photo shows the old and new sensor as well as the carquest box the sensor came in with the part number on the box.

Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/70941/2029AEDA31884DE2B09289D2A39582E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM
dingo ate my baby

I had the same problem with my 1999 Durango (abs and brake lights).The speedo didn't come on till went 35mph and when below the speed went dead untill I hit at least 35mph again. The check light came on then went offonce.I had autozone scan and read code that it was calling for it.Autozone is great they seem to be onlythe auto parts store that will still scan it then tell you whatthecode means and will clear codes for free. all the other major auto parts stores quit doing it.The new sensor fromAutozone by Wells name brake senor-abs part number su3356 with 2 year warranty in stockabout $40.PLease make sure you ask for rear speed sensor because three timesI called they tried give me the front one told them it was the wrong onetwice at autozone, once murrays. LuckilyI had read the post first so I knew they were wrong. I didn't disconnect my battery however .The things that sucked for me brokein half tring to take out took awhile pry rest out making sure none of it went in and connecter to the sensor had to useflat head screw diver to unconnect itThis thread helped alot thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!