Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 1st Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 AM

i had brake light and abs lights both on in my 98 durango mine was the left front abs senser went to a salvage yard changed it out now both lights went out and everything is fine (the senser is about 160.00 at autozone it was 20.00 at the salvage yard thank god for cash for clunkers
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

Last edited by cyborg67; 09-08-2009 at 01:48 AM..
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 PM

you can get new hub with sensor on ebay cheaper then 160.00
Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

Roger<--------- After the key cycle leave it in the on position for it's run down. ABS will not show in the OBD-II system tho. Dealer is about the only one that can read the ABS system. If it isn't the rear sensor then I'd go to the ABS module located in the front under the hood.

Moto: I don't take sides --- #1 - V10 Club - Club Member

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 PM

I bought a new digital multimeter.

Front sensors are a fraction over 1Kohms (1.017K and 1.033K), rear sensor is a fraction under 1.8Kohms (1.772K). Speed sensor on the tranny output shaft is 633 ohms.

As suspected, AutoZone's code reader can only deal with engine codes, not ABS, air-bag, or other systems.

I think my local non-dealer shop has a decent scan machine that they can use to diagnose the problem. I've used them in the past to fix a couple of things when Murphy has struck right before vacation trips.

- Roger
Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 PM

My local non-dealer shop tells me that the scan tool is reporting two problems, the ABS control module, and a pressure sensor (the have the official scan tool from Chrysler vehicles). ABS control module is about $500, pressure sensor is about $100. But they also just downloaded some techtips, and need to study those some more and will get back to me in the morning.

Apparently the ABS module is programmed with the VIN, and they have not been able to successfully install used modules without it throwing "incompatible VIN" codes. If they can't be re-programmed, I'd guess it's a "write once" memory field that is programmed manually or automatically on first power-on. Since they have little to gain by using new vs used modules, I tend to believe them.

Not sure what the pressure sensor is all about, I'll talk more with them tomorrow.

Bad news, besides price, is that the modules are on back-order, with no predicted availability date. So I guess I'll be driving for a while longer with the warning lights on.

- Roger
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 2000 Demon Durango SLT+

Get yours (ABS) fixed from the guys that do it on eBay. About $150 and well reviewed as reliable. Screw the dealer.

IndyDurango

- Truck of the Month: 12/2006 & 06/2012 DodgeForum.com;
01/2006 DurangoClub.com; 07/2007 Dakota-Durango.com
- Durangoer of the Year: 2006 DurangoClub.com
Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 PM
All Star

Vehicle: 99 Durango 4X4 5.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDurango View Post
Get yours (ABS) fixed from the guys that do it on eBay. About $150 and well reviewed as reliable. Screw the dealer.

IndyDurango
X2

Dealer is just trying to rip you off.. they sell them on ebay all the time and come pre-programmed with your vin already in it. (you give it to them and they program it in)
Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

^ ABS Module is available at ebay ^

You can send yours in for a rebuild for like $60 users stated before.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 PM

The rear sensor in my durango is fine, now i'm trying to check the front ones, but i'm having trouble finding were they are, i've read they are easily reached on the front wheel wells. I only have two wires going into a conection on the front wheel well, but nothing going out the other side, it just stops there? are these were you do the test or am i looking at the wrong part. anybody have a picture where they would be at. thanks I can't get my emissions done until i fix my abs light.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to defiestc
Default Front Sensor Location

Unfortunately, i maxed my uploading capabilities; I can't upload images. However, to see the sensor, you will need to remove the rotors. Once that's removed, you should see the sensor on the hub/bearing. There is a mounting bolt next to the sensor that holds it in place.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM

thanks, but i've read that people test them with out taking the rotors off, is that what the wires inside the hood on the fender well are for? is that were i test with an ohms meter.
the problem is the abs light comes on about every four times it's started, or when it feels like it, i'd say abut 60% of the time it is off. I'm looking for any loose connection but i also wanted to check the sensors, make sure they measured the correct ohms.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Wink Well

Did this today to my 2002. It was pretty easy, couple of words of advice.

#1 I removed the Spare Tire, made it easier to get to the sensor
#2 It is a REALLY tight fit getting the new sensor in, make sure it is totally clean around the hole or it will never go in. My buddy that works on cars also said to spin the hub before you tighten down. gives it a little bit of adjustment.

Overall, pretty easy fix, took me about 2 hours total time. I don't normally work on cars, more of a computer guy..Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by av2007lt3; 01-09-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Old 01-23-2010, 04:12 PM

i have this same problem does anyone know if this brake warning light being on would turn off the day time running lights as if the parking brake is on
Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Challenger R/T
Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr325

is your e-brake engaged at all? pull the release handle and pull up on the foot pedal at the same time, if it is engaged even a click or two it will turn off the DTRL and set the brake light (the abs light shouldnt go on tho)

and where are you located, bc afaik the DTRL were only on trucks sold in CANADA, if you bought the truck in the US you dont have them

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?
REAR WIPER CLUB MEMBER #2

Quote:
altair: I need something that lets me stab people in the face over the internet
Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Durango 5.9

i have a 99 dodge durango. the abs and brake light were on so i found out that i needed to replace the rear speed sensor. that fixed the prob but now there is another. now when i accelerate at around 10-15 mph there is a grinding type sound. that wasn't there before i changed the sensor. it goes away after 15 mph but comes back again when i am slowing down between that range. there were a couple moments that i felt vibration through the the brake pedal. i'm not sure what could have happened when installing the speed sensor that could have caused this. can anyone help me out a little?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator

the vibration in brake pedal could be the abs kicking in, it is also possible that you got a bad sensor, did you drop anything into the pumpkin when you changed it? there should have been a relatively big piece (by comparison to the whole thing, about 50% of it is in the pumpkin) if any of that broke off inside it could be the grinding and could also be confusing the sensor (it really is a magnet)

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?

Quote:
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Durango 5.9
Default Abs

OK So since the last post, I checked the sensor that i installed. It is ok. I read other posts about bad wheel sensors. So I took them out and inspected them. The left was ok but the right was obviously bad (attached is a pic of it.) I shopped around and to my surprise the dealer was actually the cheapest, at $95. Everywhere else quoted me at around $140. Anyways the installation went quick and easy. I was so excited that the problem would be fixed! Wouldn't you know it, problem is still there. So what's next? ABS module? I found a place that remanufactures them for a lot cheaper then a new one would cost. It was very easy to remove, (4 screws and 3 connectors). I sent it off to get reworked. Waiting for it to be returned. I'll post again when I get it back.
If anyone has any comments, I would love to hear them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0329002158.jpg (86.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Do a PCM reset?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator

+1 try resetting the PCM first to clear all the codes

bikes?
live in NJ?

Quote:
Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Default Help...

So a while back I commented that the Brake and ABS light came on, I have a 2002 Durango. We replaced the rear speed sensor and the problem wasn't solved. After that the speedometer stopped working. Shortly thereafter the check engine light came on. (I swear I hate this truck) I had a friend scan the ABS/Brake light and it came up right front sensor open. Heres the funny part. When I turn the wheel to the left the lights will go off and when I turn it back to the right they go on. This doesn't always happen, for the most part they stay on. Every now and then though they play the on off game when I'm driving. So heres my question.... Is it possible that its just loose and not actually in need of replacement?? If not, can someone please help me with a part number or an exact name for this part?!? I am getting rid of this lemon soon and want to get these things fixed without to much added expense! Is there any sort of diagram available that will help me fix this on my own (I changed both front wheel bearings without much hassle a few years ago). I know I am asking a lot. As I said I am getting rid of it soon and don't have a lot of extra funds to put into it. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Tags
2000, 2005, 98, abs, clear, disconnect, dodge, durango, failing, light, lights, magnum, sensor, su3356, turn, warning