See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 AM
cyborg67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had brake light and abs lights both on in my 98 durango mine was the left front abs senser went to a salvage yard changed it out now both lights went out and everything is fine (the senser is about 160.00 at autozone it was 20.00 at the salvage yard thank god for cash for clunkers

Last edited by cyborg67; 09-08-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 PM
bigskiohio

you can get new hub with sensor on ebay cheaper then 160.00

Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Roger<--------- After the key cycle leave it in the on position for it's run down. ABS will not show in the OBD-II system tho. Dealer is about the only one that can read the ABS system. If it isn't the rear sensor then I'd go to the ABS module located in the front under the hood.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
gusheidisky

I bought a new digital multimeter.

Front sensors are a fraction over 1Kohms (1.017K and 1.033K), rear sensor is a fraction under 1.8Kohms (1.772K). Speed sensor on the tranny output shaft is 633 ohms.

As suspected, AutoZone's code reader can only deal with engine codes, not ABS, air-bag, or other systems.

I think my local non-dealer shop has a decent scan machine that they can use to diagnose the problem. I've used them in the past to fix a couple of things when Murphy has struck right before vacation trips.

- Roger

Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
gusheidisky

My local non-dealer shop tells me that the scan tool is reporting two problems, the ABS control module, and a pressure sensor (the have the official scan tool from Chrysler vehicles). ABS control module is about $500, pressure sensor is about $100. But they also just downloaded some techtips, and need to study those some more and will get back to me in the morning.

Apparently the ABS module is programmed with the VIN, and they have not been able to successfully install used modules without it throwing "incompatible VIN" codes. If they can't be re-programmed, I'd guess it's a "write once" memory field that is programmed manually or automatically on first power-on. Since they have little to gain by using new vs used modules, I tend to believe them.

Not sure what the pressure sensor is all about, I'll talk more with them tomorrow.

Bad news, besides price, is that the modules are on back-order, with no predicted availability date. So I guess I'll be driving for a while longer with the warning lights on.

- Roger

Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get yours (ABS) fixed from the guys that do it on eBay. About $150 and well reviewed as reliable. Screw the dealer.

IndyDurango

Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Get yours (ABS) fixed from the guys that do it on eBay. About $150 and well reviewed as reliable. Screw the dealer.

IndyDurango
X2

Dealer is just trying to rip you off.. they sell them on ebay all the time and come pre-programmed with your vin already in it. (you give it to them and they program it in)

Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ ABS Module is available at ebay ^

You can send yours in for a rebuild for like $60 users stated before.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 PM
uno23

The rear sensor in my durango is fine, now i'm trying to check the front ones, but i'm having trouble finding were they are, i've read they are easily reached on the front wheel wells. I only have two wires going into a conection on the front wheel well, but nothing going out the other side, it just stops there? are these were you do the test or am i looking at the wrong part. anybody have a picture where they would be at. thanks I can't get my emissions done until i fix my abs light.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 AM
defiestc
Default Front Sensor Location

Unfortunately, i maxed my uploading capabilities; I can't upload images. However, to see the sensor, you will need to remove the rotors. Once that's removed, you should see the sensor on the hub/bearing. There is a mounting bolt next to the sensor that holds it in place.

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!